cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data types and sizes of PDM and PCM buffers for the pdm2pcm library

RPuch.2
Associate III

I am performing audio acquisition from 4 MP34DT01-M microphones using SAI interface and pdm2pcm library on STM32H743.

My first question is about the types of variables used in the PDM and PCM buffers. I am storing data from 4 microphones in 32-bit slots (8 bits per microphone) in each frame.

Currently it looks like this in my case:

#define PDM_buffer_size 4096*4*6
#define PCM_buffer_size 4096*4

uint32_t PDM_buffer[PDM_buffer_size];
uint16_t PCM_buffer[PCM_buffer_size];

HAL_SAI_Receive_DMA(&hsai_BlockA1, (uint8_t*)PDM_buffer, PDM_buffer_size);

PDM_Filter(&(((uint8_t*)PDM_buffer)[0]), &(((uint16_t*)PCM_buffer)[0]), &PDM1_filter_handler);
PDM_Filter(&(((uint8_t*)PDM_buffer)[1]), &(((uint16_t*)PCM_buffer)[1]), &PDM2_filter_handler);
PDM_Filter(&(((uint8_t*)PDM_buffer)[2]), &(((uint16_t*)PCM_buffer)[2]), &PDM3_filter_handler);
PDM_Filter(&(((uint8_t*)PDM_buffer)[3]), &(((uint16_t*)PCM_buffer)[3]), &PDM4_filter_handler);

However, the declaration of HAL_SAI_Receive_DMA is as follows:

HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_SAI_Receive_DMA(SAI_HandleTypeDef *hsai, uint8_t *pData, uint16_t Size)

On the one hand the pointer is 8-bit and the buffer size is 16-bit and mine is 32-bit.

Please let me know if I have this right.

The other issue concerns the size of the buffers used. While the PCM_buffer is quite obvious and equal to the value of output_samples_number (the number of samples by request) multiplied by 4 microphones, with the PDM_buffer I already have a problem. I chose the value experimentally until it worked, whereas I have no idea why it already works with the six and not, for example, with the four. I am using a decimation ratio of 64.

Can you suggest how to get this data right?

1 REPLY 1
SimonePradolini
ST Employee

Hello @RPuch.2,

X-CUBE-MEMSMIC1 (link) provides an example of multi-microphone audio acquisition. Unfortunately STM32H7 is not supported by the package, but you can have a look to the code in the Microphone_Streaming demo available for STM32F4 or STM32F7. It's a good starting point.

Following the above-mentioned example, you will see how to properly use the PDM_FIlter function and how to setup the buffer you need.

Best regards

Simone

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.