cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unused pins to ground and bootloader question

Linas L
Senior II

Hello,

I would like to put many pins on my UFBGA STM32 to ground, and configure in software as input or even better output( must be done correctly first time )

But now I am wondering, if I am planning to BOOT processor with BOOT pin high, and use UART as bootloader, does STM32 will initiate any other protocol and try to drive pins that could be connected to ground ?

0693W00000Lzai0QAB.png 

And second question :

If I am using UART1 as bootloader, and STM32 has many position to that PIN, how does it know what pin should I bootloader use ? Is there correct single pin for bootloader operation or any USART1 pin would work ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

> does STM32 will initiate any other protocol and try to drive pins that could be connected to ground ?

It will listen on the RX pin (in input mode) and only initialize TX when it receives a signal. If RX is tied to ground, it won't ever try to drive TX.

> If I am using UART1 as bootloader, and STM32 has many position to that PIN, how does it know what pin should I bootloader use ? Is there correct single pin for bootloader operation or any USART1 pin would work ?

AN2606 lists the supported pins for the bootloader.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/cd00167594-stm32-microcontroller-system-memory-boot-mode-stmicroelectronics.pdf

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

> does STM32 will initiate any other protocol and try to drive pins that could be connected to ground ?

It will listen on the RX pin (in input mode) and only initialize TX when it receives a signal. If RX is tied to ground, it won't ever try to drive TX.

> If I am using UART1 as bootloader, and STM32 has many position to that PIN, how does it know what pin should I bootloader use ? Is there correct single pin for bootloader operation or any USART1 pin would work ?

AN2606 lists the supported pins for the bootloader.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/cd00167594-stm32-microcontroller-system-memory-boot-mode-stmicroelectronics.pdf

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Reading same document now, thanks for replay ! , it looks like I will have to remake some pins...