cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to jump to bootloader on STM32L071xx

TPryn
Associate II

Hi!

I have been searching for days trying to find an answer to this question. Lots of people have similar questions but none of the answers have worked for me.

I am trying to get my STM32L071xx to jump to bootloader from application code. I need this to be able to update it when the device is installed.

I have code from an STM32F0 that i was hoping to just copy and change out the address, but sadly it wasnt that easy.

Here is the jum to bootloader function i am trying:

void jumpToBootloader(void)
{

void (*SysMemBootJump)(void);

volatile uint32_t addr = 0x1FF00000; // from AN2606

__disable_irq();

HAL_RCC_DeInit();

SysTick->CTRL = 0;
    SysTick->LOAD = 0;
    SysTick->VAL = 0;

SysMemBootJump = (void (*)(void)) (*((uint32_t *)(addr + 4)));

__set_MSP(*(uint32_t *)addr);

SysMemBootJump();

}

To simplify my testing i made a minimal CubeMX project where i blink an led a few times, and then attempt to jump to the bootloader. This project is attached.

As the code is now, it seems to exit jumpToBootloader() and then hang on a delay in the main loop, since interrupts are disabled.

As i have said, i have tried many different suggestions, but I have yet to try modifying the startup file. I really dont feel like that should be necessary?

As you can see from the project i build using Make and my arm-none-eabi-gcc is version 9.3.1 0200408.

Edit:

I am also getting som compiler warnings related to the __set_MSP() function:

arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -mcpu=cortex-m0plus -mthumb   -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32L071xx -ICore/Inc -IDrivers/STM32L0xx_HAL_Driver/Inc -IDrivers/STM32L0xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/Legacy -IDrivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32L0xx/Include -IDrivers/CMSIS/Include  -Og -Wall -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -g -gdwarf-2 -MMD -MP -MF"build/main.d" -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/main.lst Core/Src/main.c -o build/main.o
In file included from Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32L0xx/Include/stm32l071xx.h:114,
                 from Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32L0xx/Include/stm32l0xx.h:151,
                 from Drivers/STM32L0xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/stm32l0xx_hal_def.h:30,
                 from Drivers/STM32L0xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/stm32l0xx_hal_rcc.h:29,
                 from Core/Inc/stm32l0xx_hal_conf.h:187,
                 from Drivers/STM32L0xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/stm32l0xx_hal.h:30,
                 from Core/Inc/main.h:31,
                 from Core/Src/main.c:21:
Drivers/CMSIS/Include/cmsis_gcc.h: In function 'jumpToBootloader':
Drivers/CMSIS/Include/core_cm0plus.h:93:28: warning: listing the stack pointer register 'sp' in a clobber list is deprecated [-Wdeprecated]
   93 |   #define __ASM            __asm                                      /*!< asm keyword for GNU Compiler */
      |                            ^~~~~
Drivers/CMSIS/Include/cmsis_gcc.h:190:3: note: in expansion of macro '__ASM'
  190 |   __ASM volatile ("MSR msp, %0\n" : : "r" (topOfMainStack) : "sp");
      |   ^~~~~
Drivers/CMSIS/Include/core_cm0plus.h:93:28: note: the value of the stack pointer after an 'asm' statement must be the same as it was before the statement
   93 |   #define __ASM            __asm                                      /*!< asm keyword for GNU Compiler */
      |                            ^~~~~
Drivers/CMSIS/Include/cmsis_gcc.h:190:3: note: in expansion of macro '__ASM'
  190 |   __ASM volatile ("MSR msp, %0\n" : : "r" (topOfMainStack) : "sp");
      |   ^~~~~

6 REPLIES 6
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The address of the system memory is fine.

Please try to move line 18 (__set_MSP) before line 16 (SysMemBootJump).

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
TPryn
Associate II

Sadly that gives the same result.

As I just added to the post, I am also getting a warning and notes from the compiler.

Maybe they can help someone understand what is going on?

Did you find a solution?

No, and I am getting desperate :l

Concidered a latching circuit to keep boot0 pin high when i perform a sw reset.

But that is a really crappy workaround :D

TPryn
Associate II

No idea?

This is very basic and crucial functionality, so it would be nice if an ST employee would help to fix it.

TPryn
Associate II

Another interisting thing is that in GDB i can't even read the bootloader ID. This also works fine on my STM32F07.

So could it me some memory protection issue?