cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLINK-V3SET: Question About Adapter Board to Program via SWD

KMew
Senior III

Hello,

I apologize if this is an obvious question, but I do not want this part to be wrong and would prefer some confirmation.

I am preparing a custom board and would like to program it in an identical manner to the evaluation/nucleo boards. To try and achieve this, I would like to use the STLINK-V3SET. To minimize the space on the board, I put a 2.54mm pitch, 6 pin connector on my board that is connected to the SWD pins as shown below.

0693W00000aHWwAQAW.png0693W00000aHWwKQAW.png0693W00000aHWwPQAW.png 

The STLINK-V3SET comes with an adapter board that has the 6-pins configured in the same order as the SWD connector on my application board.

0693W00000aHWvNQAW.png 

Based on this, I have three questions:

1) Based on this setup, will there be any obvious issues programming the board?

2) If I want to program the board like I have been in previous projects on the evaluation/nucleo boards (via CubeIDE through the Run button, with the setup below), will it work if I connect to the SWD connector (CN6) on the adapter board?

3) Will the STLINK-V3SET power the MCU to program the board if I connect the 3.3V pin (Pin 1 in CN6)? Or will my application board have to be powered seperately? (I see the comment 1 in Table 11 about it being an input for STLINK-V3SET, but I'm confused on whether it means it is the input for the application board or the application board powers the STLINK-V3SET)

0693W00000aHWxhQAG.png0693W00000aHWxwQAG.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AScha.3
Chief II
  1. no
  2. yes
  3. no

and dont forget cer. caps on nrst, boot0 , vcap -- gnd.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AScha.3
Chief II
  1. no
  2. yes
  3. no

and dont forget cer. caps on nrst, boot0 , vcap -- gnd.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hello AScha,

Thank you for the reply!

I appreciate you confirming my logic 🙂

Yes, I do have caps on NRST and VCAP. I kept the capacitors separate to reduce schematic clutter.

0693W00000aHXgcQAG.png0693W00000aHXgmQAG.png 

Would Boot0 need it too if it's always connected to GND?

You don't need a capactor on BOOT0, it's pulled down to assure a specific state on systems where there's a slow rise time on the power rails, and if left floating can be in an indeterminate state.

Surely the VCAP caps should be 2.2uF (pair) or 4.7uF (single), certainly for LDO implementations where the MCU generates it's own 1.25V rail.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hello Tesla,

Thank you for the reply!

I currently have 1x 10uF and 2x 100nF ceramic capacitors near the output of Vcap. Is that sufficient? Or is there issues with having it larger than 4.7uF?

Note that I based my capacitor sizes off the STM32H7B3I-EVAL board (but it uses SMPS, but LDO).

0693W00000aHXyMQAW.png