Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-LINK firmware upgrade

markpow
Associate III

9 REPLIES 9
markpow
Associate III

I have the ST-LINK programmer. I want to run a code from ST32CudeIDE. When I started to do then, I got a message:

0693W00000Y93hSQAR.pngOk, so I pressed the Yes button, and I got an answer:

0693W00000Y93fbQAB.jpgI clicked the Open in update mode button, but...

0693W00000Y93liQAB.pngI have ST-LINK connected.

0693W00000Y93kuQAB.jpgOk, I saw an option "Firmware upgrade" option inside ST-LINK. So I tried to use this option. I disconnected ST-LIINK and clicked on this link. And I got:

0693W00000Y93n0QAB.pngWhen I made a connection, then this link was dimmed. So I have a question: Is it possible to upgrade ST-LINK firmware? Such a situation looks like a joke.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

This is not a joke, but a problem, which has been discussed here many times and usually occurs with ST-Link/V2 counterfeits that are not only not made by STMicroelectonics, but contain a poorly made fake instead of the original STM32F103. Especially the V in the ST-Link ID in your last picture already draws attention to the fact that it is a fake. Have a look at this thread and then decide how to proceed - e.g. return the ST-Link to your dealer.

Good luck!

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
markpow
Associate III

I have ST-LINK looks like the original from the STM. It has the STM logo. Is it a fraud?

In the thread mentioned, you can also see what appears to be the original STMicroelectronics logo, even the packaging and cardboard insert were essentially copied 1:1 - is it an original then?

Well, besides the fake STM32 that you can see after opening the ST link, there are further clues when looking at the supplier: is it a trustworthy supplier or one of the low-low-cost cheap dealers from suspicious regions?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
markpow
Associate III

So did you try to fight such fraud?

Sure, but sometimes a fake can be produced faster than you can take legal action against it. So if you want to work with as few problems as possible, it is better to buy tools and materials from reputable and trustworthy dealers to whom you can also turn with a complaint if necessary.

AScha.3
Chief II

shure. if it is not working, STM always will say : its fake. STM (almost) never helping customers, when a product not working and there is any chance, its not an original STM product.

just - my experience.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

@AScha.3​ That may look like it from your point of view, but it doesn't get to the heart of the problem. The problem is that there are in fact many fakes, which are no longer easily recognisable as fakes by the average user. However, if you open the ST-Link/V2 in question (two screws under the label on the back), then you can see very quickly, as in the example linked above, that it is a fake.

Sorry that STMicroelectronics is not able to provide support for counterfeit products that illegally use our logo and software - they are just products of another manufacturer. It is therefore a false statement that STMicroelectronics would not want to help users - we simply cannot.

On the contrary, with many problems one can very well see how, in addition to eager users like e.g. you, quite a few colleagues can successfully help with their experience, many, by the way, in their free time, as they otherwise have other functions.

Anyway, thank you for your contributions and those of the other users, because this helps the community a lot in solving problems, developing the knowledge of the users and the use of our products.

Kind regards

/Peter

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Update: meanwhile there is a knowledge base article on the topic: How to recognize a genuine ST-Link/V2 versus a cloned one?, created by Amel NASRI.

Regards

/Peter