cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

integrate calypso protocol based on STM32 + ST25R3911

AFink
Associate III

Hi,

I'd like to integrate calypso protocol (Calypso Networks Association) in a terminal based on STM32 + ST25R3911.

The STM32 will run a SW package which implements Calypso (taken from https://keyple.org/learn/build-your-first-app/cpp-app/).

My question: Do I need a Calypso SAM additional to ST25R3911 (or ST25R3911 + SW package is just enough)?

Thanks,

Aviv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi Aviv,

I am not an expert on this keyple library. From a first glimpse it seems to be requiring a SAM but I never used/tried to integrate it.

From a chip perspective ST25R3911(B) and ST25R3916(B) can definitely support the Calypso protocols which are based on ISO14443-B. Even the older variations of B* (Innovatron protocol) are supported thanks to no_sof and no_eof bits inside our reader chips.

Best Regards, Ulysses

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi Aviv,

I am not an expert on this keyple library. From a first glimpse it seems to be requiring a SAM but I never used/tried to integrate it.

From a chip perspective ST25R3911(B) and ST25R3916(B) can definitely support the Calypso protocols which are based on ISO14443-B. Even the older variations of B* (Innovatron protocol) are supported thanks to no_sof and no_eof bits inside our reader chips.

Best Regards, Ulysses

AFink
Associate III

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply.

1. Can you please clarify whether ST25R3911 supports/implements SAM functionalities?
  2. Can you please tell whether terminals which use ST25R3911 also must have a SAM additionally to ST25R3911 chipset?

Thanks,

Aviv

Hi,

I don't have experience with Calypso's cryptography. I know for sure that ST25R3911B does not contain a SAM or any cryptographic functions.

About the necessity of a SAM for Calypso - I don't know. There is a chance that cryptography might also be technically feasible inside an MCU (STM32 even has some crypto extensions). But it also is a question of key protection and what the framework provider requires.

Regards, Ulysses