cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not receive uart data from ST25RU3993 evl board

PLi.3
Associate

I want to catch the UART data from the evl board and plot them real-time. This can not be done by the GUI. Therefore, I think I need to change the firmware on the board. I successfully build the firmware by stm32cube ide and flash the .bin file into the board. The firmware can be recognized by the GUI so I suppose there should be no problem. Then, I use a common UART software to open the awake the board, the LEDs light normally. However, I can not receive any UART data.

[LOG("FW Version = %02d.%02d.%02d.%02d\n",FW_VERSION_MAJOR, FW_VERSION_MINOR, FW_VERSION_MICRO, FW_VERSION_NANO);] This code should transmit the UART data to the PC, right?

I am pretty sure the UART setting on PC is correct since I had check the UART_init in the board firmware.

What will be the problem?

My main purpose is to active the scanning and receive the UART data. Is there any suggestion on the modification of the source code?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nick K
ST Employee

Hello PLi.3,

In the default FW the LOG macro use the TX pins of the UART3 (J11 on the EVAL board).

This macro only transmit UART data for logging purpose. It is indented for debugging the FW code and should be used with care. It should be disabled after debugging, as it can influence performance of scanning, when used during Gen2 slot execution.

Without any modification in the FW uses UART2 for communication to host application like the ReaderSuite GUI. (connected to the onboard USB-UART converter IC)

In general the EVAL/HPEV board FW reply response data when a command is send.

Scanning for TAGs is different. For the "InventoryRunner" the Host system sends a start command and the FW autonomous executes Gen2 queries, collects data information and send collected TAG information to a host system in bulks. The host system then catch all data send from the board and process further.

Please have a look to the STUHFL_demo VS2017 solution. With this source code you find the minimal steps to configure the board and start an inventory scan. This source code demonstrate also the usage of the middleware communication logging . This is enabled by default in the demo and trace all communication data that the middleware exchange to the "Output window" in VS2017. The trace also contains the raw communication data that is received during scan. This data is in raw form and reports for every found TAG information as timestamp, RSSI values and other data. The TAG timestamps are real-time data.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Nick K
ST Employee

Hello PLi.3,

In the default FW the LOG macro use the TX pins of the UART3 (J11 on the EVAL board).

This macro only transmit UART data for logging purpose. It is indented for debugging the FW code and should be used with care. It should be disabled after debugging, as it can influence performance of scanning, when used during Gen2 slot execution.

Without any modification in the FW uses UART2 for communication to host application like the ReaderSuite GUI. (connected to the onboard USB-UART converter IC)

In general the EVAL/HPEV board FW reply response data when a command is send.

Scanning for TAGs is different. For the "InventoryRunner" the Host system sends a start command and the FW autonomous executes Gen2 queries, collects data information and send collected TAG information to a host system in bulks. The host system then catch all data send from the board and process further.

Please have a look to the STUHFL_demo VS2017 solution. With this source code you find the minimal steps to configure the board and start an inventory scan. This source code demonstrate also the usage of the middleware communication logging . This is enabled by default in the demo and trace all communication data that the middleware exchange to the "Output window" in VS2017. The trace also contains the raw communication data that is received during scan. This data is in raw form and reports for every found TAG information as timestamp, RSSI values and other data. The TAG timestamps are real-time data.