cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use HVLED001A with a resistive load up to 250W;

Can I use HVLED001A with a resistive load up to 250W;

The load is up to 6A or 9A, 20V to 28V and must be below 50V. The waveform could have a a lot of rectified mains ripple because it is a simple steel wire heating element so I am considering using minimal output filter capacitance. I note that the part is only recommended for 150W so could you recommend another part? 

The output current can be reduced below 6 or 9A to save power.

I had considered half-bridge because this topology may have a better EMC profile than fly-back.

1 REPLY 1

This question has not received any reply.

I am sure that the IC will drive a larger transistors or the half-bridge as I have suggested. Although half-bridge would require the duty cycle be limited to 50%. I guess that this solution would require much bigger filtering components than a conventional solution based of PF using two interleaved transistors. That would be no saving in BoM over the other conventional solution of a boost PFC block followed by a half-bridge or other output stage.

The HVLED001A and others uses quite large output capacitors which I am not sure is required for the LEDs they could be driven with a full-wave rectified mains current waveform similarly. In that case the control loop would need to have a longer time constant which surely would be okay the output load does not change.