cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM6DSO32X and Changing the Full-Scale Range

Dude
Associate III

I am a bit confused about changing the Gyroscope Full-Scale range during operation (dynamically). 

1. Do I only need to change register CTRL2_G, or anything else too, to trigger a change to the Full-Scale range? 
  2. What happens once I change the sensitivity? 
    1. Lets say I sample the value sitting in the Gyroscope. Then I change the sensitivity. Will the next value from the gyroscope be based on the new sensitivity? Putting aside the settling time associated with changing sensitivity. 
    2. How long before the new sensitivity takes effect? Is the next sample at the new sensitivity, or if that sample has already started conversion will it be the sample after that? 
    3. If there is a time to take effect, how can I make this time to take effect consistent?

3 REPLIES 3
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @Dude ,

Yes, if you want to change the FS you need to set a different value in bit FS of reg 11h (CTRL2_G). This change is instantaneous.

For the next questions: when you write sensitivity, do you mean the full scale?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Dude
Associate III

Yes, sorry I mean to say the Full Scale Range. 

Dude
Associate III

Scenario Check...

If the device is sampling at some rate. 

1. Conversion Finishes

2. Data-Ready interrupt occurs

3. Some time passes

4. Interrupt gets serviced, host device requests data, processes it, etc. 

5. Host device decides to change the Full Scale Range (aka, sensitivity) of the LSM6DSO. Say the gyroscope. 

6. Host device sends instructions to change the Full Scale Range. 

7. LSM6DSO continues conversion 

Questions about this scenario

1. How much time can pass to service the interrupt before the next LSM6DSO conversion does not occur using the new Full Scale Range value? 

2. Said another way, how quickly after a previous conversion do we have to change the settings for those new settings to take effect in the next conversion? 

3. Is it possible or realistic to try and change the LSM6DSO settings between conversions? In this case, I am trying to change the Full Scale Range.