cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM6DS3 characteristics

CHuyg.1
Associate II

We have a product based on the LSM6DS3 and are shortlisted for a large deployment. Customer has some additional questions on MEMS used:

- MEMS sensor BW (3db + resonant freq)

- ODR accuracy

I can find this data for IIS3DWB but not for LSM6DS3 or similar.

Any assistance appreciated -- thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @CHuyg.1​ ,

These information are not publicly available, in the sense that these parameters are not reported in the datasheet. However, I can share you some characterization lab data on a representative sample, but you must assume them to be a typical value (with no production limits).

• MEMS sensor BW (3db + resonant freq)
    • The typical mechanical cut off frequency for the LSM6DS3 is around 800Hz, so the sensitivity BW up to ODR=1.6kHz is determined by the Nyquist criterion ODR/2. After this frequency, the mechanical dumping of the MEMS begins to be felt, but the detectable signal is anyway well above the sensor resolution. Of course, IIS3DWB bandwidth is far better.

• ODR accuracy:
    • For ODR = 208Hz, similar in percentage to other ODRs;
    • Similar between accelerometer and gyroscope;
    • First graph refers to the ODR variation, second graph to the ODR jitter:

0693W00000HrP8OQAV.png 

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster. 

-Eleon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @CHuyg.1​ ,

These information are not publicly available, in the sense that these parameters are not reported in the datasheet. However, I can share you some characterization lab data on a representative sample, but you must assume them to be a typical value (with no production limits).

• MEMS sensor BW (3db + resonant freq)
    • The typical mechanical cut off frequency for the LSM6DS3 is around 800Hz, so the sensitivity BW up to ODR=1.6kHz is determined by the Nyquist criterion ODR/2. After this frequency, the mechanical dumping of the MEMS begins to be felt, but the detectable signal is anyway well above the sensor resolution. Of course, IIS3DWB bandwidth is far better.

• ODR accuracy:
    • For ODR = 208Hz, similar in percentage to other ODRs;
    • Similar between accelerometer and gyroscope;
    • First graph refers to the ODR variation, second graph to the ODR jitter:

0693W00000HrP8OQAV.png 

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster. 

-Eleon

CHuyg.1
Associate II

Great answer: no marketing blurb, but usable engineering info!