cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIS2DW12 Bias issue

TotoCobalt
Associate

Hi MEMS experts,

I am using LIS2DW12 to measure the movement with very rough distance.

I tested it by measuring the X-axis only, but it seems to be biased to positive direction.

I mean,

1. Moving it to the positive direction : it starts having the + acceleration, it's stabilized, and gets - acceleration. : In this case, + acceleration occurred longer and - acceleration occurred less. I used these + / - acceleration to measure the rough distance, and I can see the quite accurate or bigger output than actual movement.
  2. Moving it to the negative direction : it starts having the - acceleration, its stabilized, and gets + acceleration. Interestingly, - acceleration occurred less and + acceleration occurred longer. So if the moving distance is short, + acceleration at the stop position take out the - movement as it's too much.

In summary,

I guess my accelerometer might be too sensitive to positive direction, but less sensitive to negative direction.

I tried to find the calibration method for this bias, but I cannot find it.

I would like to get experts' opinion.

1 REPLY 1
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Ciao @TotoCobalt​ ,

Welcome to ST Community!

Our accelerometers are equally sensitive to positive and negative directions, however if the movement is manual, we cannot be sure that the acceleration has the same duration in both directions.

Our suggestion is to move the LIS2DW12 in a controlled way and look if there is still any difference.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.