cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the output value of the H3LIS331DL 12 bit long or 16 bit long? On page 9 of datasheet (sensitivity), 12 bit is assumed. On page 1 of datasheet, it says 16 bit output-data...Thanks a lot!

AKais.1
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Table 3 of the data sheet confirms the width of the measuring value with 12bit = 0...2047.

For example, with FS1,FS0=0b01 in CTRL-REG4 the measuring range FS is set to 200g, the sensitivity So is 98mg/digit, resulting in a necessary number of values of 200'000/98 = 2040.8. For this 12bit are exactly sufficient, ditto for the other measuring ranges.

As @Community member​ mentioned, the 16bit data results from the necessity that the higher-level controller typically wants to have multiples of bytes. Nevertheless, only 12 bits of significant data are contained in this 16-bit data packet for the measured value.

Is that a little clearer now?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

12 isn't a multiple of 8, whereas 16 is

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
AKais.1
Associate II

True, still this doesn't mean anything... did you take a look on page 9, section sensitivity, of the datasheet? that's why I am confused... there it says 12-bit representation

Table 3 of the data sheet confirms the width of the measuring value with 12bit = 0...2047.

For example, with FS1,FS0=0b01 in CTRL-REG4 the measuring range FS is set to 200g, the sensitivity So is 98mg/digit, resulting in a necessary number of values of 200'000/98 = 2040.8. For this 12bit are exactly sufficient, ditto for the other measuring ranges.

As @Community member​ mentioned, the 16bit data results from the necessity that the higher-level controller typically wants to have multiples of bytes. Nevertheless, only 12 bits of significant data are contained in this 16-bit data packet for the measured value.

Is that a little clearer now?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
AKais.1
Associate II

Hi Peter!

Thanks a lot for your answer! So, the 12 less significant bits of the output data do always contain the full information, right?

to be honest, the results I get make more sense if I consider all 16Bits to be valid... that would mean for range FS = 200g -> 6,1 mg/digit ((2*200g*1000)/(2^16-1) digit)...are you sure that table3 on page 9 is correct?

Well, you could call it centred, because the measured values are output in two's complement.

Yes, table 3 is correct and refers to the actual measurement result.

Regards

/Peter