cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to put BlueNRG2 in power saving mode with DTM app over API?

Thieny
Associate II

Hi everybody,

I'm using the BlueNRG M2 module on a custom hardware with a separate Host controller. It is a battery driven device so the power consumption should be as low as possible when BLE communication is not needed.

The Application Note AN4820 describes the low power modes of the BlueNRG SoC but how can i put the module into the power saving mode over the HAL API?

I can not find any API commands to control the power consumption of the BlueNRG over a host controller.

What is in general the best practise to save maximum of power without powering off the supply voltage?

Thanks a lot in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Sebastien DENOUAL
ST Employee

Hi @Thieny​ ,

DTM SPI code is already implemented Sleep mode - please be aware that DTM UART configuration do not support sleep mode.

Considering DTM SPI, the BlueNRG-2 will automatically enter the most aggressive sleep mode according to use case as per describe in Application you mentioned. From microcontroller perspective, there is nothing specific to do.

FYI :

• SPI_CS is used to wakeup BleuNRg-2 in case of DTM SPI.
  • IN case of ongoing BLE connection, BleuNRG-2 will wake up automatically and raise SPI_IRQ if an event is available for read by microcontroller.

IF you want to “shut down�? BleuNRG-2 DTM to save power while unused, I advise to control reset pin of BleuNRg-2 from host microcontroller.

Maintaining reset pin low will maintain BleuNRG-2 in shutdown mode.

Regards,

Sebastien.