cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About effect of using ST202EBTR in 3.3V

TShim.8
Associate II

Hello. I'm interesting about ST202EBTR. If I use it in 3.3V, what difference is it compered in 5V.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well, the Absolute Maximum Ratings are the values at which the respective component survives; if they are exceeded, it must be considered destroyed.

Yes, the ST3232EBTR can directly replace the ST202EBTR, only the values of the charge pump capacitors might have to be adjusted according to the respective voltage range (see data sheet, table 9).

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @TShim.8​, to the community!

The ST202EBTR is an RS-232 transceiver whose function is guaranteed for a supply voltage of 5V±10%. Conversely, this means that the function is not guaranteed at 3.3V. A statement about how the component behaves at 3.3V is therefore not possible.

However, you can use the pin-compatible alternative type ST3232EBTR, which can not only be used between 3...5.5V, but also has a considerably lower current consumption and almost 10% higher guaranteed data speed.

Does this help and answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
TShim.8
Associate II

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

In datasheet, "Absolute maximum ratings" writes "Supply voltage" range is "-0.3 to 6".

So I thought ST202EBTR moved at 3.3V.

But it isn't correct, is it? (At 3.3V, it doesn't move.)

I'm happy that you gave me information about ST3232EBTR.

I recognized that ST3232EBTR compatible with ST202EBTR, and ST3232EBTR is superior to ST202EBTR.

Is it correct?

I look forward to hearing form you.

Best regards, Thanks,

Well, the Absolute Maximum Ratings are the values at which the respective component survives; if they are exceeded, it must be considered destroyed.

Yes, the ST3232EBTR can directly replace the ST202EBTR, only the values of the charge pump capacitors might have to be adjusted according to the respective voltage range (see data sheet, table 9).

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Good luck!

/Peter