cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are hardware issues behind Vl6180x didnot light up or blink?

khaledeisa
Associate II

hi ...how are you .....what cause the sensor(Vl6180X) when it gets the power (3.24 volt if I connect it to 3.3v output pin and 5.4 volt if I connect it to vu output pin ) and in both cases it didnot respond and the led light in it didnot blink or lights up...what are the main reasons behind that ....the auther of the project code his design uses espminid1 and he told me I can use the main code on esp8266 nodemcu v3 as that is the one I bought as I found it only in the store (my design uses nodemcu v3 ) ....so what are the hardware differences or issues that cause that ?

Screenshot (5).png

AgilityLights_Master.png

  

3 REPLIES 3
John E KVAM
ST Employee

there are two things that can stop the VL6180. 

Lack of correct power is one.

But not lifting the XShutdown pin is the other. 

Connect that to high.

But do check the schematics on that sensor board. 

The VL6180 Functional operating voltage is 2.6 to 3.0 V

So just check that. 

- john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

okay first thank you for your response ...I measured voltage and it is 3.3v and when I connect to vu pin it has 5.2or 5.3 volt (as I found alots of projects connect it to 5 volt on google ) so I believe I give it its sufficient power 

but yes I didnot connect xshutdown pin ....should I connect it to 3.3v pin ? do you mean that by telling me I should connect it to high?

I cannot tell you how to connect that board. The voltage at the sensor should be 2.8 +/- a tad. Perhaps there are voltage regulators on the board?

Look for the schematic from the manufacturer. Sparkfun, Pololu and Adafruit all make one. And lots of other people do too. 

The xshutdown pin ideally would be the same 2.8v, but I'm sure it will run at 3v3. 

But I guarantee you it will not run until that pin is high.

Some people just tie it to power, but the xshutdown does have its uses. 

- john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.