cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to connect WB55RG and X-Nucleo-53L8A1 with the VL53L8CX_GUI

jufeus
Associate II

Hey, 
I want to see the 8x8 matrix in the VL53L8CX_GUI but when I try to connect it in the GUI the nucleo does not appear. But it appears by flash. In the device managment from my windows 11 I see the board is on COM8. (See screenshot)
Do you guys have an idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

For some reason I could not see the screen shot, but I think I know the issue.

The GUI package downloads a binary that powers up the sensor, initializes it and makes it ready. There are then a few commands that come from the PC which are translated and sent to the sensor. One of them is the 'start' command. Data is then taken from the sensor, and sent back to the PC. 

This binary is complied for the Nucleo-F401RE. And while it might run on other boards, the PIOs are going to be different. 

The solution is to just buy the F401RE. it's 10 dollars. And use that to prove the sensor does what you need. After that, download the API and use the STM32CubeIDE including the XCUBE_TOF to build the code for your WB55RG.

- john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
John E KVAM
ST Employee

For some reason I could not see the screen shot, but I think I know the issue.

The GUI package downloads a binary that powers up the sensor, initializes it and makes it ready. There are then a few commands that come from the PC which are translated and sent to the sensor. One of them is the 'start' command. Data is then taken from the sensor, and sent back to the PC. 

This binary is complied for the Nucleo-F401RE. And while it might run on other boards, the PIOs are going to be different. 

The solution is to just buy the F401RE. it's 10 dollars. And use that to prove the sensor does what you need. After that, download the API and use the STM32CubeIDE including the XCUBE_TOF to build the code for your WB55RG.

- john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

Hey John,

thanks for the answer. Sounds promissing. I ordered one, it will arrive tomorow and then I will try it with the F401RE. 

Best Regards,

Julian

Hey John,

I tried it with the F401RE and it works fine. Thanks for the help.

Best Regards,

Julian

jufeus
Associate II

So another question: When I want to make more customizations to the Matrix e.g Max Range Gradient to 3.9m instead of max 3m of the GUI. I have to do that in the CubeIDE or? And is there an example Code for the Matrix in CubeIDE?

Best Regards,

Julian

John E KVAM
ST Employee

The sensor responds to commands and supplys the ranging info to the STM32. The STM32 does the init, and transmits command from the PC to the sensor. It also reads the range data and transmits it to the PC. 

The gradent info is strictly there to visualize what you are looking at. Those parameters are just for the PC. 

Use the GUI to set what you like. It makes no difference to the sensor.