cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to differentiate between reflective sheets and other reflective materials like mirrors with the VL53L0X?

WOh.2
Associate II

As you know, the reflective sheet is very bright regardless of the reflective sheet surface angle.

However other reflective materials, such as mirrors, are only bright when the surface angle is perpendicular to the VL53L0X.

​In such cases, it is difficult to distinguish only by the difference in brightness.

Is there a way to differentiate between reflective sheets and other reflective materials like mirrors with the VL53L0X?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

All you get is a range and a signal return rate. To get the true reflectivity of the target divide the Signal Rate by the number of SPAD. (I generally multiply that number by 100 to normalize it, or 200 to give the signal rate if all the SPADs were turned on. Either of these work.)

What you are looking for is how strong the signal is at that distance.

Then take some data. Put the mirror at given distances and build a table of distances and signal strengths for all your targets.

After that look to see if there is a difference.

My guess is that at the near distances the materials will look the same, but as the distance get larger, the mirror's signal will drop (only the center of the illumination will be returned) whereas the signal from the retro reflective material will not.

But it's just a guess.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
John E KVAM
ST Employee

All you get is a range and a signal return rate. To get the true reflectivity of the target divide the Signal Rate by the number of SPAD. (I generally multiply that number by 100 to normalize it, or 200 to give the signal rate if all the SPADs were turned on. Either of these work.)

What you are looking for is how strong the signal is at that distance.

Then take some data. Put the mirror at given distances and build a table of distances and signal strengths for all your targets.

After that look to see if there is a difference.

My guess is that at the near distances the materials will look the same, but as the distance get larger, the mirror's signal will drop (only the center of the illumination will be returned) whereas the signal from the retro reflective material will not.

But it's just a guess.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
WOh.2
Associate II

Hi John,

I really wanted the TRUE reflectivity. Thank you.

However could I know whether all the SPADs were turned on?

Perhaps is it EffectiveSpadRtnCount?

Best Regards,

Woojin

Hi John,

I really wanted the TRUE reflectivity. Thank you.

However could I know whether all the SPADs were turned on?

Perhaps is it EffectiveSpadRtnCount?

Best Regards,

Woojin