cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB bootloaser does not work

DmtryVovk
Associate II
Posted on July 17, 2016 at 12:48

So, hello everyone. I have a problem with starting bootloader using USB cable.

I think i did all conditions to provide this mode. 

NUCLEO F070RB. Win10, Win7

HSE(crystall) 12 MHz works fine in Led-blink project. BOOT0=1, nBOOT1=1(Checked).

Windows have no any reaction after connecting USB (D+, D-, GND)!

If i add pull-up resistor on D+ or D-, windows can see ''Unknown device'' with wrong descriptor. 

Please halp me!

#dfu #usb #bootloader
24 REPLIES 24
Mon2
Senior III
Posted on December 13, 2016 at 23:25

Placed assorted boards under the Beagle 5000 USB bus analyzer this afternoon and here are the results.

1) STM32F070RBT6 Nucleo board with BOOT0 strapped to Vdd does not log any USB traffic with our external cable mated to PA12 (D+) and PA11 (D-) with common ground. ROM boot loader USB DFU mode is not operational.

Tested one board with native MCO clock as fed from the upstream STM32F103 ST-LINK CPU.

Tested again with a local 8 Mhz crystal and 27 pf loading caps. Confirmed the 8 mhz crystal is operational with the flash based DFU loader (CubeMx generated) - works fine.

2) STM32F070RBT6 Nucleo board with BOOT0 open -> uploaded DFU Loader generated with CubeMx tool running from flash space and our external cable. Works fine and the logs are posted.

3) STM32F072RBT7 Nucleo board with BOOT0 strapped to Vdd does generate USB traffic. ROM boot loader USB DFU mode is operational. Logs are posted.

The viewer from Total Phase is also included in this download to view the TDC formatted log files.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/axxonshare/USB_logs/STM32F072RBT6_and_STM32F070RBT6_DFU_bootrom_logs.zip

https://s3.amazonaws.com/axxonshare/USB_logs/STM32F072RBT6_and_STM32F070RBT6_DFU_bootrom_logs.zip

Tomorrow, will review the same but on the 20 pin TSSOP STM32F070F6P6 device. Maybe the boot loader operates correctly on that package.

Welcome all feedback.

Mon2
Senior III
Posted on December 13, 2016 at 23:43

Just received a reply from our open tech support ticket with ST.

There is an issue with the ROM Bootloader DFU on the STM32F070 devices.

Earlier datecode versions are affected for the ST32F070 and ST is now confirming which datecodes are containing the non-working DFU Rom code. ST is requesting the CPU details we have tested so far with the received Nucleo boards along with the bootloader version which can be extracted by the UART mode. Believe the ST-Link tool can also extract this detail ? Is this correct ?That is an exercise for tomorrow...

For us, we are only experimenting with the Nucleo boards - no silicon has yet been purchased. Our crystal ball can see a pile of the older datecode CPUs being dumped on Ebay / Aliexpress.

Moving forward, each authorized supplier should offer the date code details for this CPU.

There you have it !!

shingadaddy
Senior
Posted on December 13, 2016 at 23:49

Good work chasing that down!  Appreciate it Bhatia.kumar

Rattles my confidence, for sure.. 

Posted on December 13, 2016 at 23:03

Only PA12 (D+), PA11(D-) and ground are connected to the Nucleo board.

USB DFU rom based bootloader should work but does not.

Posted on February 18, 2018 at 01:22

Hi,

I am experiencing this issue in 2018, but the date code on my device is 447, which I think means 47th week of 2014 - so maybe quite old!

Did you ever find out the affected date codes?

Thanks,

Matt