Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INTEST:JTAG Boundary Scan

dhiraj
Associate II
Posted on February 01, 2017 at 13:16

Hello Everyone,

I have built a pcb consisting stm32L152V8t6 and other peripherals.I am trying to use JTAG Boundary Scan to test the functionality of the chip. So currently I used the TopJtag(

http://www.topjtag.com/probe/

) ide ,added the bsdl files for stm32L152 with correct MCU_ID_CODE and was able to run following tests:

1. Simple test: read all gpio status while the code is running in background

2.Extest: Control of device outputs and observation of inputs(off chip circuitry test)

I am not am to do Intest:

Control of device inputs and observation of outputs(on chip internal logic test).I want to know is it the device which do not support Intest ? or is it the software not supporting intest for the provided bsdl files? I also dint find any application note related to Jtag boundary scan. My aim is to trigger the i/p gpio pins using jtag and check the values of o/p pins. Is this possible?

Waiting for the response,

Regards,

Dhiraj

6 REPLIES 6
dhiraj
Associate II
Posted on February 13, 2017 at 14:35

I future tried to use openocd to run boundary scan and was able to read/write a gpio pin using JTAG Boundary scan .Here I need to make a svf project file for testing.Is there any example available specific to stm32 MCU for generating svf file?

Khouloud GARSI
Lead II
Posted on March 07, 2017 at 13:49

Hi

patil.dhiraj

‌,

The STM32 devices does not support the optional INTEST instruction.

Fortunately, we have a dedicated design for test circuitry that enable us to check each flip flop in the MCU.

All MCUs are tested before being sold to ensure their proper operation.

-> There is no need for the user to remake this test.

Obviously, since the STM32 does not support the INTEST instruction, the SVF file provision is not relevant.

Best regards,

Khouloud.

Khouloud GARSI
Lead II
Posted on March 07, 2017 at 15:10

Hi

patil.dhiraj

‌,

The boundary scan cell embedded into the STM32 microcontrollers is intended to be used for PCB quality check at manufacturing stage. This is made possible through the support of the EXTEST instruction; I think this is the feature you are looking for.

Best regards,

Khouloud.

Posted on March 07, 2017 at 14:29

hi

garsi.khouloud

‌,

My motive to do boundary scan is not to test the MCU, but to test if its connected properly on the pcb. I want to check if there is a short between two pins or if any pin is left unconnected.But thanks to inform me that INTEST is not supported by stm32 MCU's.

Regards,

dhiraj

Posted on March 07, 2017 at 17:28

hi

garsi.khouloud

‌ ,

I am looking for Extest feature only, Can you suggest tools which implement this test?. We are about to start the manufacturing part and this test will help us to detect most of the PCB errors.

Thanks.

Regards,

Dhiraj

Khouloud GARSI
Lead II
Posted on March 08, 2017 at 10:31

Hi

patil.dhiraj

‌,

I advise you to use the JTAG/Boundary Scan Tester offered by GÖPEL electronic. Butfor sure there is other tools that you may use. Maybe some users on the community can give you some suggestions based on their own experience.

Regards,

Khouloud.