cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have performance data of STM32L432 family of chips at extreme low temperatures (i.e. -55`C)?

APowe.2
Associate

I'm looking to use this controller for aerospace applications and was wondering if there was any performance data at the -55`C temperature extreme. A required warm-up period or something similar is what I'm expecting to need, but any more detailed information would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The STM32 are guaranteed to work in the temperature range given in the datasheet and by the order number, while the lowest temperatur is always -40 DEGC.

The particular datasheet also lists the storage temperature range, which is for the STM32L432: -65...150 DEGC.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The STM32 are guaranteed to work in the temperature range given in the datasheet and by the order number, while the lowest temperatur is always -40 DEGC.

The particular datasheet also lists the storage temperature range, which is for the STM32L432: -65...150 DEGC.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
APowe.2
Associate

Hey Peter,

I'm really looking for information on whether the STM32 is functional, at all, down to -55`C. I fully understand that functionality is not guaranteed at that temperature. The application we're evaluating these parts for will require testing at this low temperature. The STM32 would be inside a housing that will get warmer than ambient, but on start-up the chip would be subject to that temperature. I'm looking to see if there's any data that you might have to indicate what performance could be expected and whether a warm-up period would be required to achieve partial or full functionality.

Thank you for your help!

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

At that temperature, a lot can happen. Often ceramic capacitors (Z, Y, Z ceramics loose temperature. What about having some mechanical temperature switch, heating up to -40 and only then starting the electronic?

TDK
Guru

If operating at -55 C is critical to your application, I would never use a part which is only specced to -40C. Even if you fully test it, there is no guarantee that it will work in future production batches of chips. Aerospace applications tend to be lower quantity and higher cost--find a more appropriate chip.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Dvorak.Peter
Senior II

While -55 C may seem cold to some, there are the brave overclockers with liquid nitrogen.

Overclocking to 7GHz with Liquid Nitrogen  Hands-On  Computex 2017

https://youtu.be/WwJvHJ1hyto