cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB/com interface not working in STEVAL-SPIN3204/Windows10

ranrang
Associate II

Hi, I am new to ST evaluation board. I am trying to connect STEVAL-SPIN3204 board to a windows 10, and it is not working.

In more details: The board is working with stsw-link007 (ST-LinkUpgrade) and loads the recent driver version (V2J43M28). The USB connects to Windows as Drive D with details.txt file.

I loaded en.stsw-link009 drivers (64 bits) and updated the com port (STMicroelectronics STLink Virtual COM Port (COM3)) driver to version 2.2.0.0 dated 4/1/2021. The COM port hardware Ids are USB\VID_0483PID_374B&REV_000&MI_02 and USB\VID_0483PID_374B&MI_02.

The COM port is configured for 115200 baud, 8 bits, not parity, 1 stop bit.

However, when it is connected to the ST Motor Pilot V.1.2.5 that came with Motor Pilot 6.2.1 - it is not working and the board remains disconnected. Discover Board fails with the following message:

[INFO] - : Application is starting : MotorPilot version:1.2.5

[INFO] - : ini file path=C:/Users/Ran/AppData/Roaming/ST Microelectronics/ST Motor Pilot.ini

[INFO] - : Polling time out is set to 200 ms

[INFO] - : set qml to : qrc:/GUI/defaultApp.qml

[INFO] - : Loading registers bank desciption file C:/Program Files (x86)/STMicroelectronics/MC_SDK_6.2.1/Utilities/PC_Software/STMotorPilot/RegisterList/RegListMinimal.json

[INFO] - : Registers bank description loaded successfully

[INFO] - : Load Application qrc:/GUI/defaultApp.qml

[INFO] - : QML Application ready

[INFO] - : sdkPath=C:/Program Files (x86)/STMicroelectronics/MC_SDK_6.2.1

[INFO] - : disconnect UART START

[INFO] - : Disconnected from board

[INFO] - : disconnect UART END

[INFO] - : try to connect to COM3@1843200 Bauds

[INFO] - UART worker: Successfully open port COM3 @ 1843200

[INFO] - : try to configure the board

[INFO] - : try to connect to COM3@115200 baud

[INFO] - UART worker: Successfully open port COM3 @ 115200

[INFO] - : try to configure the board

[ERROR] - : Failed to discover Board at 1843200 Bauds and 115200 Bauds

[INFO] - : disconnect UART START

[INFO] - : disconnect UART END

and terminal shows Tx msg of 85FFFFF (ASPEP_BEACON) and no Rx msg (ERROR:ASPEP BEACON TIMEOUT 500ms).

I replaced the cable, and used another (similar) evaluation board - and the issue remains.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any idea that will solve this issue.

12 REPLIES 12

Hello Cedric,

Sorry... my bad. It was not clear to me that downloading a project is a must to communicate with the evaluation board. It reads as if it is necessary to test your application, which is obvious, not to communicate with the board. I did not realize that the communications is part of the downloaded package (UART initialization and protocol handler routines).

The issue with the profile: I bought STSPIN3204, STSPIN3202, STSPIN3201, and NUCLEO-G431RB/IHM16M1 which I believe is STM32G4. Again - I'm reading too superficially the vast number of documentation, trying to solve quickly the problem I have (my current driver stops after a minute or so, probably due to high torque when trying to achieve a certain speed. I want to start slower, try to sync at a lower speed, and set the speed to the maximum speed achievable, with max current/voltage (torque) I can put on the motor.)

Thanks for the assistance, anyway. I hope I won't need to purchase an additional inverter (e.g., EVSPIN32G4).

Hi, Finally it worked. Sort of. Had to reset and use the user button on the inverter in order to successfully finish the profile. Start with the app button caused all sorts of errors and did not finish.

Thanks, a little progress... 

Dandan0707_0-1710857787515.png

Please can anybody helps me why I'm getting under voltage notification and I'm using in the power supply 12 volts, so I need to ignore this notification and it just run once and after that I need to repeat the same step everytime, please if anybody can give me feedback or how to solve this issue.

I'm using the SPIN3201.