cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIS3MDL for detecting car occupancy in parking space

Silas Valera
Senior

Hi

I am considering LIS3MDL to detect the presence of car in parking space by measuring the change in magnetic field. Has anyone worked on this LIS3MDL for similar application? Would you please share your experience / comments?

Thanks

Silas

3 REPLIES 3
LFONT
Associate III

​I know there are quite a few companies using already LIS3MDL or LIS2MDL for this application. Basically, the ferromagnetic material of which the car is composed is concentrating the magnetic flux coming from the earth field. What happens is that the magnetometer sees an increase of reading when the parking space above it is occupied. 

I would suggest to use LIS2MDL (instead of the LIS3MDL), since LIS2MDL is more stable temperature-wise. This could help avoiding false positives when moving from cold to hot (night to day) or viceversa.

Silas Valera
Senior

Thank you so much Luca!

I have just received eval board for LIS3MDL, but also try to get LIS2MDL board. Will work on this and see how it goes, will get back if there is any further question.

Thanks again!

Fausto1
Associate

The problem of LIS2MDL is the range +-50G, so it is hard to detect the changes of magnetic field