cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the Eval - scs001v1 auto select the voltage output needed?

CChin.2
Associate II

HI,

0693W00000SvmNiQAJ.png 

the video shown that the scs001V1 can be auto select the voltage needed for the devices has plugged it in.

what i see is that the eval board output the power thru the terminal block, i am curious how it will auto select the voltage needed? that is no additional signal or feedback connected to the eval board.

the first device it can auto select to output five 5V then follow with Bluetooth speaker devices, it auto genrate 15V.

let say i want to connect to a uno board. which is DC 7-15V, how will the eval output be?

(i am using 20V source powe)

chin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Great!

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @CChin.2​, to the community!

EVAL-SCS001V1 is based on the STUSB4500, which can store three PDO profiles (power data objects) in its NVM and informs the connected power supply (source) of the voltage and current to be supplied.

Since the EVAL-SCS001V1 has no information about the required voltages and currents of the connected loads (sinks, e.g. your UNO), these values have to be stored in the NVM of the included STUSB4500. Programming can be done e.g. with the GUI STSW-STUSB002.

As soon as the EVAL-SCS001V1 with your UNO board is connected to the USB-C power supply, the set power can be requested.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Peter,

thanks.

from the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFOu_4AzVVg&t=175s

what i see is that, the Eval-SCS001v1 has been pre configured with 3PDO (from lowest to highest)

PDO1:5V/1.5A

PDO2:15V/1.5A

PDO3:20V/1.0A

it shown when it connect to a 5V devices, it can automatically select the PDO1, then when it connect to a 15V devices, it will auto select PDO2. is my assumption correct?

if let say i want to power my uno with 12V.

which 1 should i configured? or both also can,

1st option ( 3PDO )

0693W00000SvquMQAR.png 

2nd option (2 PDO)

0693W00000SvqugQAB.pngthanks,

Chin

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

This is somewhat misleading because the STUSB4500 on the EVAL-SCS001V1 cannot know what voltage supply the connected load wants and, above all, can tolerate. The 15V device, for example, would like to have 15V, the 5V device 5V. However, due to the lack of communication between themselves and the STUSB4500, neither can communicate this, so that the user has to program a corresponding profile into the NVM of the STUSB4500 if the maximum voltage is specified.

It is primarily a matter of telling the power supply unit (source) on the USB-C side which power level is to be requested from it. The output voltage is determined according to the performance of the source: the PDOs are queried in sequence (see the data sheet of the STUSB4500) and the power supply unit is instructed to supply e.g. 20V, 1A, if it can do so. Of course, the load must then be able to handle the 20V.

Is that a little more understandable now?

Regards

/Peter

hi Peter,

yup, agreed. thank you so much on the clarification.

may i know how to close this question/ticket?

thanks,

Chin

Great!

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards

/Peter