cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu 24.04 install of Cube IDE 1.15.1

w3dmj
Associate

When moving to the latest LTS version of Ubuntu (version 24.04), I received the following message when attempting to install Cube IDE and after accepting all of the license agreements:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
st-stm32cubeide-1.15.1 : Depends: libncurses5 but it is not installable
Depends: libpython2.7 but it is not installable
Depends: libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

After running "sudo apt-cache search" for each of these packages, I found the following:

for libncurses5 only libncurses-dev was returned. The version associated with 24.04 is (6.4+20240113-1ubuntu2)

for libpython2.7 nothing was returned and when I searched for just libpython only libpython3-all-dev and its associated packages were listed.

for libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 nothing was returned but when searching for libwebkit2gtk version libwebkit2gtk-4.1 was returned.

Are there plans to update Cube IDE soon to use updated libraries?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tiagomds
Associate

I had the same issue on my Ubuntu 24.

I saw at https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeide.html#get-software another linux version (STM32CubeIDE Generic Linux Installer) and I was able to install it.

For now it seems to be working fine.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
MuhammadOsama
Associate

I have the Same Problem  :expressionless_face:

unsigned_char_array
Senior III

Who still uses python 2.7 in 2024?! Python 2.7 has been discontinued since January 2020... I have used STM32CubeIDE on Ubuntu in the past without any serious issues (aside from scaling issues, but I've had scaling issues on Windows too), but not on 24 yet.

Kudo posts if you have the same problem and kudo replies if the solution works.
Click "Accept as Solution" if a reply solved your problem. If no solution was posted please answer with your own.
Tiagomds
Associate

I had the same issue on my Ubuntu 24.

I saw at https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeide.html#get-software another linux version (STM32CubeIDE Generic Linux Installer) and I was able to install it.

For now it seems to be working fine.

Does it worked? I can't login :(

I was able to install the CubeIDE from the Generic Linux option, but cannot login to myST. I'm on Ubuntu 24.04, tried versions 1.15.1 and 1.14.0, but cannot login too.

raulsalinas
Associate II

Apparently, logging in from the CubeIDE works right now. 
But I also experience the problem that I cannot run an example project because it is looking for libncurses5 whereas this Ubuntu only has the libncurses6. 

I tested all versions, login and compile/debug just working on 1.12.0

trusty
Associate

Even if you were able to install there are still problems down the line due to libncurses5. I was able to install on Ubuntu 24.04 using the generic Linux Installer, but I cannot load jobs to my MCU.

Could not determine GDB version using command: arm-none-eabi-gdb --version
arm-none-eabi-gdb: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I cannot get proceed beyond this at the moment.

What do you mean by "load jobs to my MCU"?

Kudo posts if you have the same problem and kudo replies if the solution works.
Click "Accept as Solution" if a reply solved your problem. If no solution was posted please answer with your own.