cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there not STM32MP157F-DK2 RGMII TX termination resistor?

mali005
Associate

I check STM32MP157F-DK2 schematic. Transmit Channels(ETH_TXD0..ETH_TXD3) isn't have termination resistor. Receive Channels (ETH_RXD0..ETH_RXD3 ) is have termination resistor. But you add termination resistor on Transmit Channels in your  application note(AN5031 page 74 ). I confused about transmit channels termination resistor.

Please explain this.

Screenshots

0693W00000Unpu3QAB.jpg0693W00000Unpu8QAB.jpg0693W00000UnpuDQAR.jpg

1 REPLY 1
PatrickF
ST Employee

HI @Community member Gürbüz​ 

This is not termination resistors, but rather source damping resistor (or impedance matching) to improve signal integrity. Those resistors should be put close to driver side.

Usually, it could be skipped if lines are assumed to be short and with minor impedance discontinuities (e.g. vias) or if signal integrity analysis show they are not needed.

I guess that on STM32157F-DK2 board, decision come that as we could change the TX drive level, the resistors could be skipped. Whereas on RX path, it is more difficult to control the output impedance from PHY side.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.