cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting mention speed of lorawan.

Yuvi
Senior

Hello @ST Community @STM Community 

Currently, I'm using Lorawan gateway: P-nucleo LRAWAN1 and Lorawan node: B-L072Z LRWAN1. As Lorawan provides a maximum range of 10 Km and a data rate of 5kbps at 125 kHz.

B-L072Z node as a buffer of size 242 bytes.

I have tried 3 cases:

1) In this case I tried filling 6byte and transmit it, at SF7 I'm getting 28 frames per minute=6byte*28frames=168bytes=22.4bps.

2) In this case I tried filling 48bytes and transmitting it, at SF7 I'm getting 27 frames per minute=48byte*27frames=172.8bps.

3) In this case I tried filling 240bytes and transmitting it, at SF7 I'm getting 24 frames per minute=240byte*24frames=768bps. That is also I'm getting frames only at SF7 and SF8 and for the rest of SF I'm getting empty frames. When i try to fill 240 bytes.

As Lorawan is capable of 5kbps. At what conditions and parameters I'll be getting at least 3 or 4kbps of speed?

I'll describe my application: I want a maximum range of 1Km, with a maximum data rate as much as possible, a node has a buffer size of 242 bytes, and as I fill that buffer and send the data it only transmits at SF7 and SF8 and for rest of SF it transmits empty frames even at 50 meters.

All the require parameters are also fine(TOA(ms), RSSI and SF,etc)

Screenshot (4).png

Looking for your guidance.

Thank you..

5 REPLIES 5
Andrew Neil
Evangelist II

@Yuvi wrote:

Hello @ST Community @STM Community 

Lorawan provides a maximum range of 10 Km and (sic) a data rate of 5kbps at 125 kHz...

But not (necessarily) at the same time: you can have either the maximum range or the maximum data rate - but not both together.

You trade-off range against data rate.

Also, because it's using licence-free spectrum, LoRaWAN limits allowable "time-on-air": the higher spreading factors needed to achieve the longest range require more "on-air" time - so the stack could be rate-limiting you ...

See your other thread:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-wireless/looking-for-gateway-compatible-with-b-l072z/m-p/639079/highlight/true#M17873

@Andrew Neil 

1) You can have either the maximum range or the maximum data rate: I'm Keeping my gateway and node at a 5cm distance then too I'm getting 24 frames at SF7, Which is 768 bps.

2) When it comes to license-free bands: Out of 8 bands, 7 are license-free only. when it comes to license bands. How can I get those license bands?Screenshot (6).png

@Yuvi wrote:

@Andrew Neil 

I'm Keeping my gateway and node at a 5cm distance

That's probably too close! You're likely to be saturating the receivers.

@Yuvi wrote:

How can I get those license bands?

By obtaining the appropriate licence(s) !

That would probably require you setting up as a major network operator.

Yuvi
Senior

@Andrew Neil  1) I have tried various distances. But still, the maximum data rate that I'm getting right now is 768 bps.

2) Getting a license band is the only solution?

As for your experience can you give me any 1 solution that I will go with to get a maximum data rate with a maximum range of 1km?

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Yuvi @Andrew Neil 

More details about this discussion are available on this post:

Looking for information/details on WL55JC1 and B-L... - STMicroelectronics Community

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.