cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display recommendations for a custom STM32H743IIK board?

Southbranch
Senior II

Hi!

I am looking for a display for a custom board as above with these overall specs:

• Size 6 - 10" TFT-touch.
  • High resolution e.g. 800x480, 1024x600.
  • > 1000 nits for outdoor use in sunlight (e.g. industry, marine classed)
  • Preferable coming with plugin connector-cable to attach to board
  • Built in memory (is this possible?)
  • Very small quantity so quality above all

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7

https://www.newhavendisplay.com/

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Many thanks Tesla,

However, if I did not misread, these displays seem to be intended for indoor use. Their 10.1" product have a a brightness of 800cd/m2 (nits) which is a bit to low to handle direct sunlight.

They have a lot of range and ability to source panels, you should perhaps have a conversation with them. I understand the high nit requirement, but it's a niche and expensive area, so made/designed-to-order is actually a viable business. Can perhaps match with controller IC's with frame buffers too.

If you use an H7 with DSI it would open the window to HDMI/DVI monitor type panels.

The resolutions you mention are similar to RPi screens.

7" displays probably the sweet spot for this resolution, above that market is likely FHD, UHD resolutions.

Very good comments, thanks!

Yes, a 7" display would definately work and I will for sure contact NewHaven.

I am a newbie around displays and try get my head around the interfaces and recommendations via AN4861 - Resources - Search STMicrocontrollers. The only source I have found so far around STM32 display.

Interested about the DSI. Would you in general recommend to go for a DSI-interface rather than a 24-bit parallel in terms of easier software/hardware integration, since this comes as an opportunity with the H7 I mean?

DSI frees up a lot of pins, for memory interfaces, etc. Whilst I think it creates other cabling issues, there are less wires, and the signals are synchronous/digital, and on differential pairs.

Several H7, F4 and F7 versions of the STM32 ICs that support DSI

It's a case of picking your battles, whether it is overall board size/layers/costs, pin count/escape issues, etc.

HDMI connectors adds some licensing cost, but again depends on how you partition the design or have to fully own parts of the design which aren't at your core application/competencies. ie is is easier to integrate some COTS part and plug in a cable or two, or fully own the build of complete sub-assemblies which others specialize in, and build/sell in the shed-loads.

Southbranch
Senior II

Many thanks again!

I think I could manage board size, pins and so on for both the DSI and parallel interface.

However, I get a bit of bad feeling when you mention cabling issues with DSI... I would really like to have an easy board connection, preferable with some sort of standardized connector. Perhaps risk mitigation is needed here, so much else could go wrong I mean.

It would be great to add a standard a HDMI-connector to the PCB and being able to plug in any of a myriad of display options via a standard cable! But if I am not wrong, not even the STM32MPU:s have HDMI-support and thus one would perhaps need to consider a NXP i.M8 or similar. Anyway a Cortex-A seems to be needed and it turn would need Linux/Android. I am afraid such project would be to complex for me.

Or have I missed anything around the HDMI?