cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for ST25 tag

Hesseltjuuh
Associate III

Hello everyone,

I have a project in mind where I want to create a business card with an NFC tag that redirects to my portfolio page. My main concern is ensuring that the NFC tag URL redirect works on as many phones as possible. I've heard that Type 5 tags don't work on Android versions above 9. Is this true? Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on which NFC tag I should choose?

Btw the NFC tag must include an Energy Harvesting feature so I can show off some cool things.

Thanks in advance,

Hessel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello, 

As you understood, Androids version prior to 9 have difficulties to support type 5 tags with memory larger than 8kbits (1kBytes). This is the only limitation using type 5 with smartphones.
Now, for an URL, you probably don't need that much memory, so it is not a problem.
If you want to use energy harvesting, you can use the ST25DV04KC, which provides you 4kbits of memory for your URL (512 Bytes) and energy harvesting.
Keep in mind that android 8 and below are quite old and today (2024) they represent less than 10% of the android smartphones in the field, quickly decreasing. So, using a type 5 tag with larger memory may not be such a big concern anyway.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

I would recommend to have a look to Application Note AN4911

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

So what I got from that Application Note is that I should buy a tag with a memory less than 8 kBits. That's the only hardware requirement so that I can use it with every smartphone?

Thanks in advance!

Hello, 

As you understood, Androids version prior to 9 have difficulties to support type 5 tags with memory larger than 8kbits (1kBytes). This is the only limitation using type 5 with smartphones.
Now, for an URL, you probably don't need that much memory, so it is not a problem.
If you want to use energy harvesting, you can use the ST25DV04KC, which provides you 4kbits of memory for your URL (512 Bytes) and energy harvesting.
Keep in mind that android 8 and below are quite old and today (2024) they represent less than 10% of the android smartphones in the field, quickly decreasing. So, using a type 5 tag with larger memory may not be such a big concern anyway.

Best regards.