cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using STPM34 voltage channel as current channel

Mhamza_Nasir
Associate II

I am designing a power metering circuit using the STPM34 IC, and I need to measure three channels of current. The STPM34 datasheet specifies that the device has two current measurement channels (IP and IN) and two voltage measurement channels (VIP and VIN). However, I require three channels of current measurement and am considering using one of the voltage channels (VIP or VIN) as a current channel.

The datasheet indicates that the voltage channels can be used as a differential input to measure the voltage across a shunt resistor for current measurement. However, this method requires a gain setting of 2x and may result in increased noise. I would like to know if there are any other considerations or limitations to be aware of when using the STPM34 in this manner.

Specifically, I would like to know:

• Are there any other limitations or considerations I should be aware of when using the voltage channel as a current channel?
  • Will using the voltage channel as a current channel affect the accuracy of the device?
  • Are there any recommendations or best practices for using the STPM34 in this configuration?
  • Is there any other advice or guidance you can provide for using the STPM34 in this application?

Thank you for your assistance.

0 REPLIES 0