cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use STEVAL-IPMM10B for voltages lower than 125 VDC?

AShag.1
Associate

Hi. I am interested in using the STEVAL-IPMM10B evaluation board to drive a BLDC motor with the voltage rating of 50 V. The evaluation board user manual says, it works for 125-400 VDC. Is there any way I can use this board for lower voltages? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You're welcome!

Correct, you would have to adjust the voltage divider R1,2-R4 if you absolutely and against all expectations want to stay with the STEVAL-IPMM10B.

Good luck!

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @AShag.1​, to the community!

Theoretically, this might work, but it does not make sense for several reasons, e.g.:

• the STEVAL-IPMM10B is equipped with a voltage monitor that divides the bridge voltage down to 1/125, but it must still be possible to measure the resulting voltage sensibly (the voltage divider could be adapted, though)
  • the SLLIMM module must be purchased separately, in addition to the bus capacitor, both at a not insignificant price. 
  • the SLLIMM shows its advantages at higher bridge voltages, at 50V it makes as much sense as a sports car in front of a plough.

I would recommend looking at the EVALSTDRIVE101 instead, which might suit your needs perfectly.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
AShag.1
Associate

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply over the weekend.

• Regarding the STEVAL-IPMM10B voltage divider, what I understand is that the output of the voltage divider should be at least 1 V and that is why there is 1/125 voltage divider. So, if the bust voltage is 50 V then the voltage divider should be 1/50. Let me know if this is correct.
  • The EVALSTDRIVE101 is absolutely a perfect match as I am going to drive a BLDC hub motor and what I found in the market are motors with low voltages such as 48 V, 72 V, etc. with high currents.

Again, thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Ali

You're welcome!

Correct, you would have to adjust the voltage divider R1,2-R4 if you absolutely and against all expectations want to stay with the STEVAL-IPMM10B.

Good luck!

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Regards

/Peter