cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IIS3DWB minimum bandwidth

JChar.2
Associate

Hi,

I am a little confused at the datasheet for the IIS3DWB bandwidth. I clearly can see that the maximum frequency is 6.3kHz. However, is there a minimum measurable frequency? On the pg.1 features summary is says "Ultra-wide and flat frequency response range: from dc to 6 kHz (±3 dB point)". However, on pg.5 in the Mechanical Characteristics table, it lists the Signal bandwidth (BW) range from 5kHz(min) to 6.3kHz(max). Is this minimum correct? Is this only for the +-3dB tolerance? Or is this tolerance valid over the entire range from 0Hz to 6.3kHz?

Datasheet link for reference: https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/iis3dwb.pdf

I appreciate the help and support!

Thanks,

Jared

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Jared @JChar.2​ ,

The parameter you have mentioned:

0693W00000GXOtKQAX.pngrefers always to the upper limit of the band. It means that, depending on the mechanical characteristics of the sensor, the 3dB point must fall not below 5kHz, and it typically equals 6.3kHz. There is a resonance around that point, so the +3dB point will be at lower frequencies that the -3dB point, but it will always be above 5kHz. From DC to 5kHz the frequency response is always flat on the 3 axis.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster. 

-Eleon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Jared @JChar.2​ ,

The parameter you have mentioned:

0693W00000GXOtKQAX.pngrefers always to the upper limit of the band. It means that, depending on the mechanical characteristics of the sensor, the 3dB point must fall not below 5kHz, and it typically equals 6.3kHz. There is a resonance around that point, so the +3dB point will be at lower frequencies that the -3dB point, but it will always be above 5kHz. From DC to 5kHz the frequency response is always flat on the 3 axis.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster. 

-Eleon

JChar.2
Associate

Eleon,

Thank you for your response and explanation. That makes more sense now that the bandwidth parameter is the maximum frequency listed.

Thanks,

Jared