cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query about BlueNRG-2N and BlueNRG-LP

path321
Associate II

Hello everyone,

I am developing a custom board with STM32L4 , and looking to include a "ready-to-use" BLE module, such as BlueNRG-2 series. I have in my possession X-NUCLEO-BNRG2A1 and tested it thoroughly.

In a previous question ( https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001DNzSVSA1/preloaded-firmware-of-bluenrgm2sp ) found out that BlueNRG-M2SP comes "empty" and need flashing with specific firmware before actual use. After searching, I ended up between BlueNRG-2N and BlueNRG-LP processors.

Could you confirm that BlueNRG-2N doesnt need external flashing with firmware (or at least isnt necessary) and can work out of the box ? Is that also the case with BlueNRG-LP ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sebastien DENOUAL
ST Employee

Hi @path321​ ,

Your statement is correct. BlueNRG-2N is already preflashed with DTM image and is so "ready to use". BlueNRG-2N is a chipset (not a module as per blueNRG-M2SP)

BlueNRG-LP is also chipset (BLE SoC) delivered empty.

Regards,

Sebastien.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Sebastien DENOUAL
ST Employee

Hi @path321​ ,

Your statement is correct. BlueNRG-2N is already preflashed with DTM image and is so "ready to use". BlueNRG-2N is a chipset (not a module as per blueNRG-M2SP)

BlueNRG-LP is also chipset (BLE SoC) delivered empty.

Regards,

Sebastien.

Thank you for the support Sebastien.

An additional question, Is ti correct to use the BOM of STEVAL-IDB008V2 as a compass for BlueNRG-2N application circuit described in its datasheet ? Are there any fundamental diffferences between the complimentary parts needed for BlueNRG-2 and BlueNRG-2N chipsets ?

Sebastien DENOUAL
ST Employee

Hi @path321​ ,

Yes : you are right.

In terms of chipset, BlueNRG-2N is a subset of BlueNRG-2 (some peripherals are not available on BlueNRG-2N). Now, packages are similar, BlueNRG-2 and BlueNRG-2N are pin2 pin compatible.

So, you can use BOM and layout from STEVAL-IDB008V2 - you can also optimize BOM by removing the low speed xTal (32Khz). Default BlueNRg-2N config is using internal low speed oscillator.

As said, BlueNRG-2N is preflashed and can work only in network processor mode (DTM) - not possible to reflash other image than ST ones.

Regards,

Sebastien.