cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L8CH Drop in for VL53L8CX

JGarrettW
Associate II

I'd like to work with the raw histogram data from the VL53L8CH, which I don't believe the VL53L8CX has. Currently, I don't think that there's an evaluation board for the VL53L8CH, but it says it is "pin-to-pin" compatible with the VL53L8CX. Does this mean that I could remove the VL53L8CX from its evaluation board and drop in the VL53L8CH?

As a side question, I know that the VL53L3CX is not supposed to have accessible raw histogram data, but does if you view the raw serial data after connecting to the evaluation GUI. Is this the same for the VL53L8CX? I was just discussing this with a professor who I believe was helped by @John E KVAM a while ago.

Also, thank you all so much for your help! Forums like this make it so much easier for researchers to get new ideas developed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Zhiyuan.Han
ST Employee

Hi JGarrett

As L8CX and L8CH are sharing the same evaluation board, you don't need to do hardware modification.  

In short, the same L8CX board can be used for both CH and CX evaluation.

Br

Zhiyuan.Han

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Zhiyuan.Han
ST Employee

Hi JGarrett

As L8CX and L8CH are sharing the same evaluation board, you don't need to do hardware modification.  

In short, the same L8CX board can be used for both CH and CX evaluation.

Br

Zhiyuan.Han

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks @Zhiyuan.Han. So, I just purchase an L8CH Satel breakout board to connect to the evaluation board? I'm not seeing that available from any of your distributors. How do I evaluate the VL53L8CH? My specific application needs histogram data, so using the VL53L8CX would be harder if I am understanding the differences correctly.

Zhiyuan.Han
ST Employee

Hi JGarrettW

As you already have L8CX evaluation board, X-NUCLEO-53L8A1, you can connect this board on STM32F401(the white board) for L8CH evaluation.

Br

Zhiyuan.Han

Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

@JGarrettW 

To evaluate the VL53L8CH, you need for the HW the X-NUCLEO-53L8A1. It has on it a super component covering the VL53L8 series. For the SW, you can download package from this page : STSW-IMG043.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'