cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L4CX spad map

SCH23
Associate

Is there any way to get an overview of the 16x16 (time-integrated) SPAD array signals? I would like to see how the VCSEL spot looks on the SPAD matrix. Clearly, this information must be present on the chip itself, as it knows about its optical center. However, is it also possible to access this data via I2C somehow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Anne is correct in that it's not possible. But it leaves you wondering why. Turns out the photon data is coming in at something like 20 million photons per second. And we need to aggregate all that information, make a decision and get that decision back to the MCU in pretty short order. So we lose the data you want at the hardware level.

The sensor can decide which SPADs are on - but that happens before the collect. The Dynamic SPAD Selection is based on how many photons were received last collect. 

And we know about the optical sensor due to some really careful factory calibration. It's not real-time data.

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Hello
It is unfortunately not possible to access such information. 
Best regards

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Anne is correct in that it's not possible. But it leaves you wondering why. Turns out the photon data is coming in at something like 20 million photons per second. And we need to aggregate all that information, make a decision and get that decision back to the MCU in pretty short order. So we lose the data you want at the hardware level.

The sensor can decide which SPADs are on - but that happens before the collect. The Dynamic SPAD Selection is based on how many photons were received last collect. 

And we know about the optical sensor due to some really careful factory calibration. It's not real-time data.

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
SCH23
Associate

Hi John

Thanks a lot for your answer! I was just wondering whether it is possible to access this data because there is a utility function for selecting a ROI and I don't quite understand how this is supposed to work without knowing the intensity distribution.

Anyway, I suppose that for the VL53L4CX this does not matter too much and I can just select the default 16x16 ROI.