cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, we have a project to use a ToF Sensor in a application with safety integrity level (only sil0) according to IEC 61508. Is there any chance to get a sensor with build in software to reach a safety integrity level? Regards Kilian

KHütt.1
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I tried to get ST to make a small change that I thought was useful. And this is the short version of the lecture I got.

'ST designs sensors with the expectation that it will sell in the many, many millions of units and tries not to enter into markets where the volume is low. Even small changes cost in the millions of dollars and unless one has the sales to justify such an investment, ST would rather spend it's time doing something else.'

ST can sell these sensors inexpensively because the cell-phone industry buys them in huge quantities. They are designed speciifcally for that market.

But other customers want them, so ST makes them available.

Unfortunately, unless you have a need for huge quantities of parts, ST will probably look to other projects.

That being said, if your product has the potential to change the world, please contact your ST sales rep.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I tried to get ST to make a small change that I thought was useful. And this is the short version of the lecture I got.

'ST designs sensors with the expectation that it will sell in the many, many millions of units and tries not to enter into markets where the volume is low. Even small changes cost in the millions of dollars and unless one has the sales to justify such an investment, ST would rather spend it's time doing something else.'

ST can sell these sensors inexpensively because the cell-phone industry buys them in huge quantities. They are designed speciifcally for that market.

But other customers want them, so ST makes them available.

Unfortunately, unless you have a need for huge quantities of parts, ST will probably look to other projects.

That being said, if your product has the potential to change the world, please contact your ST sales rep.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
KHütt.1
Associate II

Okay probably the product will not be able to change the world...

No SIL as I expectet for the sensor.

Thank you very much for your answer.