cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gesture recognition with VL53L5CX

DMeie.2
Senior

Good day,

Is there currently any support for gesture recognition with the VL53L5CX ToF sensors, as shown in the Video "Gesture Tracking on Thermostat with VL53L5CX"?

I could not manage to find any examples or information about how to implement this.

Regards, DMeie.2

8 REPLIES 8
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The release of that software is a bit of an issue.

1) ST bought an AI company and they want to see if they can do it better than using the non AI approach.

2) Some folks think it's not good enough to release just yet.

3) Others folks think it's too good to give away for free.

The project was lead by one intern - an exceptionally bright one - and when he moved on, we were left with some cool technology and no plan.

I personally hear your plea. We should have something for you.

I'll see what I can do about this.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
DMeie.2
Senior

Thanks for your reply!

Looking forward for any solutions in that direction.

In the meantime I'll work with the raw data from the sensor to try to implement some crude gesture detection algorithms.

John E KVAM
ST Employee

Ok, as of today (November 16) here is the plan.

The L5CX example code for Gesture, is almost ready to be made available.

The plan is to deliver it as a pre-compiled library for STM32.

Looks like we still have some work to do with documentation before we can release it.

Can you wait a couple weeks?

I know plans can change, but this is what we are thinking.

If that doesn't work for you please contact your distributor. maybe we can work something out.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

Thanks, this works for me.

I'll work with what I have right now and once there's a release I can switch to using that.

Good day.

Are there any news on this?

John E KVAM
ST Employee

Alas no. ST bought a company (Cartesian) that does artificial intelligence. And we immediately put them on the people counting problem. And we are waiting for them to finish testing before we release the A/I software or the other stuff. So apparently we wait. Sorry about that. I did not anticipate this development.

• john

John E KVAM
ST Employee

But I will work a little harder to push them on gesture. It's important.

• john

yzer.1
Associate II

Any update on this?