Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCO Clock issue in ST-link firmware V2.J37.M26

zzolio
Associate

I am experiencing a bug in the ST-Link FW V2.J37.M26

setup

Nucleo-F446RE power from E5V

it takes a long time to "boot" or start to execute code. some code will never start running. the problem goes away if the ST-Link is power from USB before E5V is turn on

I have captured the problem on the scope. The MCO clock from ST-Link stops for about 2sek when power from E5V.

Nucleo-F446RE power from E5V ST-Link FW V2.J37.M26

0693W000003QYOpQAO.pngBlu E5V

Yellow T_NRST

Pink MCO

Nucleo-F446RE power from USB ST-Link FW V2.J37.M26

0693W000003QYP9QAO.png

Blu E5V

Yellow T_NRST

Pink MCO

Nucleo-F446RE power from E5V ST-Link FW V2.J34.M25

0693W000003QYPiQAO.png

Blu E5V

Yellow T_NRST

Pink MCO

Note the the time division is different

The following FW versions are bug free

V2.J33.M25

V2.J34.M25

V2.J35.M26

I am curious

Why have ST chosen to gennerat the clock from the ST-Link MCU?

Best regards

Martin

4 REPLIES 4

>>I am curious. Why have ST chosen to generate the clock from the ST-Link MCU?

To save a crystal in the design.

You can add one if you want, or equally chose to use the HSI source rather than the HSE

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
RConf.1
Associate II

I have a Nucleo-F207ZG board and I am facing the same problem: if you power the board from E5V or VIN, MCO starts to oscillate after approx 2 seconds when NRST signal is already high. Because of this wrong start-up sequence, most of codes will never start to run. The only solution is to manually reset the board after 2 seconds from power-up.

This problem doesn't happen if you power the board from the USB connector of the ST-LINK.

In addition to the original post, also the following FW versions have this bug:

V2.37.27

V2.38.27

Please, let us know if you implement a solution in the future ST-LINK firmware releases.

Thanks.

Regards,

Riccardo

ASevi.1
Associate II

Good day, do you know of any link to download the st-link with firmware V2.J34.M25 or V2.J35.M26? Greetings.