Bruno KANT

STVD+ST-LinkV2+Debug: comm errors

Discussion created by Bruno KANT on May 19, 2018
Latest reply on May 20, 2018 by Bruno KANT

Hello,

I've searched but do not find recent posts about this subject, the previous one are some years old, mostly in Chineese.

I've installed the latest STVD+Cosmic softwares for Windows (10 64bits), which work fine. I've also sucessesfully flashed my ST-LinkV2 dongle with the latest firmware delivered with STVD. I think that dongle is a clone, the sort which directly plugs to PC USB port. I can compile, download software to the target, and sometime only, I can also debug.

When I start to debug (after I have flashed a debug load to the target), most the time I do hit SWIM communication errors with the target. Then the debuging tool is dead. Depending of the numbers of code lines, debug may or not work.

My target is a STM8L151F3, 8 Kbyte of Flash, 1 Kbyte of RAM. I thought it could be a flash or RAM size issue as I could use the debug tool with several small programs. Then I ordered a STM8L Dicovery kit, with has more room inside: STM8L152C6T6, 32 KB Flash, 2 KB RAM. But I do hit the same issue: I can flash and run my code, but I hit SWIM communications issues when I use the STVD debug tool.

Is it related to the ST-LinkV2 dongle I use or do I have something to fix on the PC side?

Regards

Outcomes