AnsweredAssumed Answered

SPI in noisy environment - Techniques to mitigate spikes on CLK

Question asked by Arthur S on May 9, 2018
Latest reply on May 25, 2018 by AvaTar

Hi guys,

I'm using a STM32F303 micro controller in a noisy environment and there are some spikes on the SPI CLK line which mess up the functionality. The chip is used in slave mode and the SPI messages trigger a state machine. No CS line is employed, the slave is always listening. A spike on the clock line leads to a bitshift and thus false bit patterns or corrupted messages which leave my state machine corrupted. The clock is working at 1 MHz, data word length is 8 bit.

• Is there a possibility to flush the fifo using a time out on the clock line? E.g. if the 8 clock ticks do not arrive after 10us flush the FIFO and reset the SPI state? I have not found any corresponding commands and deactivating and then again reactivating the SPI peripheral is too slow.
  • And as a more general question: How do I reset the SPI peripheral at all, without a timeout as described above? So how do I flush the FIFO and the registers holding the data? Is there a fast way doing that?

Im looking forward to your answers!

Best regards,

Arthur

SPI Init:

void MX_SPI2_Init(void)
{

hspi2.Instance = SPI2;
  hspi2.Init.Mode = SPI_MODE_SLAVE;
  hspi2.Init.Direction = SPI_DIRECTION_2LINES;
  hspi2.Init.DataSize = SPI_DATASIZE_8BIT;
  hspi2.Init.CLKPolarity = SPI_POLARITY_LOW;
  hspi2.Init.CLKPhase = SPI_PHASE_1EDGE;
  hspi2.Init.NSS = SPI_NSS_SOFT;
  hspi2.Init.FirstBit = SPI_FIRSTBIT_MSB;
  hspi2.Init.TIMode = SPI_TIMODE_DISABLE;
  hspi2.Init.CRCCalculation = SPI_CRCCALCULATION_DISABLE;
  hspi2.Init.CRCPolynomial = 7;
  hspi2.Init.CRCLength = SPI_CRC_LENGTH_DATASIZE;
  hspi2.Init.NSSPMode = SPI_NSS_PULSE_DISABLE;
  if (HAL_SPI_Init(&hspi2) != HAL_OK)
  {
    _Error_Handler(__FILE__, __LINE__);
  }

}

SPI messages are sent and received via this command:

HAL_SPI_TransmitReceive_IT(&hspi2, (uint8_t *) tx_status, (uint8_t *) rx_status, 1);

Outcomes