AnsweredAssumed Answered

Vector table relocation works only in debug mode

Question asked by Marek Frydrysiak on Feb 18, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 by Clive One

Hi,

I'm facing a problem with relocation of the vector table to the internal SRAM. I work with the STM32F030CCT6 (using the Ac6 System Workbench and CubeMX, with the HAL libraries 1.9.0) and I want to design a simple bootloader.

This is a part of my linker script:

/* Specify the memory areas */
MEMORY
{
RAM (xrw)      : ORIGIN = 0x200000C0, LENGTH = 32K-0xC0
VTRAM (xrw)    : ORIGIN = 0x20000000, LENGTH = 0xC0
FLASH (rx)     : ORIGIN = 0x08000800, LENGTH = 256K-0x800
}
....RAMVectorTable(NOLOAD): {*(.RAMVectorTable)} >VTRAM

This is a vector table relocation in the main() of the bootloader:

__IO uint32_t VectorTable[48] __attribute__((section(".RAMVectorTable")));
/* USER CODE END 0 */

/**
  * @brief  The application entry point.
  * @retval None
  */
int main(void)
{
  /* USER CODE BEGIN 1 */
  uint32_t i = 0;
  for(i = 0; i < 48; i++)
    VectorTable[i] = *(__IO uint32_t*)((uint32_t)0x08000800 + (i<<2));

/* Enable the SYSCFG peripheral clock*/
  __HAL_RCC_SYSCFG_CLK_ENABLE();
  /* Remap SRAM at 0x00000000 */
  __HAL_SYSCFG_REMAPMEMORY_SRAM();

Later on I send some test messages over the UART interface. I do not know why, but the above code works perfectly in the debug mode - I just need to run "debug" and then "resume" the program execution (with or without breakpoints later, does not matter).

Nevertheless, if I program the target (right click on the project -> "Target" -> "Program chip...", or just power-reset what I uploaded during the debug session), there is no response from the board. I am pretty sure that finally there is the same program on flash since I use the same .elf file both for the debugging session and regular programming... However, I've checked that if I do not relocate the vector table and I program the flash from the beginning (flash starts at 0x08000000), everything works just fine.

Just to clarify - I want to program the bootloader with some offset (0x0800) in memory because I need some space for the bootloader sensitive data (bootheader).

BR,

Marek

Outcomes