AnsweredAssumed Answered

HAL Full duplex USART kluge fix

Question asked by David Pekin on Feb 18, 2018

It turns out that the Hal example  two boards com DMA works only in a simplex mode. The USART is put in DMA rx mode and then, after a packet is received, it reinitializes the USART handle, sends a response, reinitializes the USART handle again and then goes into DMA rx mode again.  This works fine for a command response protocol but I needed to be able to transmit packets asynchronously while supporting the cmd/rsp protocol.   Note that the Hal implementation CAN handle repeated DMA transmits in succession correctly.  (Obviously it should work full duplex but it doesn’t)

So, I could dive into fixing the Hal library but I decided a more pragmatic and faster approach to my solution (full duplex USART functionality) was to use 2 usarts to make a single full duplex channel.  Since I had a working cmd/rsp channel, I added a second USART that I would only send on (repeated DMA rx works fine). 

So, I disconnected the TX signal from Usart1 that handles the cmd/rsp protocol and I connected the TX signal from Usart2 to the driver chip.  So I send the Rsp packet the cmd/rsp channel (USART1) to both USART 1 and USART2.  The usart1 tx line is disconnected but we send it to keep the cmd/rsp channel working within the Hal limitations. We also send the rsp packet to USART 2 which is connected to the driver chip so it is transmitted. A sync packets also can be sent to usart2.  As I said, multiple DMA transmits work with the Hal libs so in this design, 

usart 1 handles incoming commands and usart 2 handles all outgoing responses and a sync packets.

This was a faster way to a full duplex solution versus debugging the Hal libs.

i hope this helps

Outcomes