AnsweredAssumed Answered

LIS3DSH Sensitivity

Question asked by Fabio Filippa on Jan 8, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 12, 2018 by Fabio Filippa

Dear All,

about this device I'm try to better understand the sensitivity parameters, from the datasheet, using the device at ±2.0g (FS bit set to 000) we must have a Sensitivity of 0.06 mg/digit, hence the number of digit should be: ±2.0/(0.06*10^-3)=±33333.3 practically I suppose ± 15 bit, I'm right?

From this I try to understand the Terminology at the device datasheet page 17/58:

"Sensitivity describes the gain of the sensor and can be determined, for example, by
applying 1 g acceleration to it. As the sensor can measure DC accelerations this can be
done easily by pointing the axis of interest towards the center of the Earth, noting the output
value, rotating the sensor by 180 degrees (pointing to the sky) and noting the output value
again. By doing so, ±1 g acceleration is applied to the sensor. Subtracting the larger output
value from the smaller one, and dividing the result by 2, leads to the actual sensitivity of the
sensor. This value changes very little over temperature and also time. The sensitivity
tolerance describes the range of sensitivities of a large population of sensors."

may be I've not correctly understanded this sentence, if the device will be thoretically then ideal with this measumerement step I shold see exactly 1 g, any difference should be about non ideality the mechanical error, electrical offset and so on, could you explain a little bit more why with this procedure I can calculate the device sensitivity, I think better the zero error instead, I'm a little confused at this point.

Could you please let me point in right direction?

Best regards

Fabio

Outcomes