AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to use ST_Link Programmer from STM32F411RE Nucleo Board to Program STM32F303RE Chip

Question asked by Zhiyong Wu on Jan 4, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 by Zhiyong Wu

Hi, I have a ST_Link Programmer that was cut off from STM32F411RE Nucleo 64 Board (zero ohms resistors SB12, 13, 14, and 15 have been also removed). I have been use it to program a stand alone STM32F411RE chip with no problem.

Currently I am doing a project that is using STM32F303RE Nucleo 64 Board and I have a custom made PCB with STM32F303RE chip on it. I tried to use the same ST_Link Programmer to program the chip by connect the 6 pins from the programmer to the chips, but it does not work. The pins are connected the same as how I connect my programmer to the nucleo board.

When I connect the programmer to STM32F411RE chip:
Programmer- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -STM32F411RE MCU Chip 
Left Pin from JP1 (next to USB Power)- - - - - - - - -VDDA (Pin 13)
SWCLK (CN4-2)- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -PA14 (Pin 49)
GND (CN4-3)- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -VSSA (Pin 12)
SWDIO (CN4-4)- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -PA13 (Pin 46)
NRST (CN4-5)- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -NRST (Pin 7)
SWO (CN4-6)- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -PB3 (Pin 55) 
With the connection above, I can program my STM32F411RE chip with external ST-Link programmer that I cut off before. Everything works fine.

And then I connected the same programmer to my STM32F303RE Chip with exactly the same connections.
This time, when I connect the program to my computer, same storage disk (NODE_F303RE (D:)) has jumped out, however, in stead of usual two files ( DETAILS.TXT and MBED.HTM), there is one additional file called FAIL.TXT, and when I opened it out, it shows: The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU.

I am not sure how to fixed this, if anyone can help, that would be appreciated.

PS. I have also tried to connect the external programmer to a STM32F303RE Nucleo board with same connection as above, and I was able to program the board. Datasheets show that both STM32F411RE and STM32F303RE are similar and has almost the same pins. One possible reason that I can think of is that the STM32F303RE chip that I bought is faulty.

Thank you

Attachments

Outcomes