The SAI clock generator subchapter and related comments throughout the SAI chapter are confusing. A complete rewrite would be beneficial, but I doubt anybody is willing to do that. So let me give a couple of simple suggestions:
- the figure ought to contain the SCK-to-FS divider; and the MCLK-to-SCK divider should indicate that its division rate is 256/FRL+1; such figure then would present a complete clock information (for free protocol setting + master).
In fact, you already have that figure; I don't see why RM contains an inferior and confusing version:
- similarly, the formula for SCK frequency shall read MCLK/(256/(FRL+1)), as the multiplication form confusingly suggests that there is some "multiplier" present; and accompanying text should point out that this strange arrangement is designed so that FS is always MCLK/256. The confusing "In the SAI, the single ratio MCLK/FS = 256 is considered." sentence could then be removed
- the text "In master mode it is mandatory that (FRL[7:0] +1) is equal to a number with a power of 2" should be accompained by pointing out the safeguard mechanism in form of WCKCFG
- MCLK stops to be output when MCKDIV=0 and FRL=255; the RM shall say this either in this subchapter, or at FRL bits description; or maybe both, as it's quite surprising.
- in Configuration register 1 (SAI_ACR1 / SAI_BCR1) , description of MCKDIV contains an incorrect formula (the result is not FSCK_x)