AnsweredAssumed Answered

STM32L0 - I2C - Bug in HAL_I2C_Master_Sequential_Transmit ?

Question asked by Alexander Wolf on Jul 27, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 by Alexander Wolf

Hallo,

I am trying to Read GPS data from a uBlox LEA via I2C with a STM32L073RZ  (Nucleo Board). I am able to read EEPROMs with the HAL Libraries in Blocking and Interrupt Mode. The EEPROM i am using is a 24LC64 and it is not critical to I2C Specifications so I can read it using a HAL_transmit to tell the Adress I want to read and then use a HAL_read to read the number of Bytes. Unfortunately the HAL functions automatically generates a STOP condition after using it! My problem is, that the GPS chip I want to read strictly follows the I2C specifications and does Expect a RESTART/START condition in between the Transmit – Read actions and does not accept a STOP.

Here I come the Combined Transactions from HAL Lib into the game. With these functions I was able to  solve the I2C combined transaction Problem using the Transfer Options provided.

HAL_I2C_Master_Sequential_Transmit_IT(hi2c, DevAddress, addr, 1, I2C_FIRST_FRAME);

HAL_I2C_Master_Sequential_Receive_IT(hi2c, DevAddress, pData, len, I2C_LAST_FRAME);  

Using my Logic Analyzer, I can See the I2C connection working and transfer Data correctly. The Data decrypted via the logic analyzer makes sense. All Adresses and read / write transactions are correct on the logic analyzer. My Problem is, that the HAL_I2C_Master_Sequential_Reveive_IT function doesn’t write Data in via the Pointer pData back in Buffer! So I can see everything works, but I don’t get the data back ? Did I just encounter a Library Bug? Do I use the function correctly?

Function:

HAL_StatusTypeDef I2C_uBlox_Read_SQ(I2C_HandleTypeDef *hi2c, uint16_t DevAddress, uint16_t MemAddress, uint8_t *pData, uint16_t len) {
    HAL_StatusTypeDef returnValue;
    uint8_t addr[2];

addr[1] = (uint8_t) ((MemAddress & 0xFF00) >> 8);
    addr[0] = (uint8_t) (MemAddress & 0xFF);

returnValue   = HAL_I2C_Master_Sequential_Transmit_IT(hi2c, DevAddress, addr, 1, I2C_FIRST_FRAME);
    if(returnValue != HAL_OK)
    return returnValue;
    HAL_Delay(1);
    returnValue   = HAL_I2C_Master_Sequential_Receive_IT(hi2c, DevAddress, pData, len, I2C_LAST_FRAME);
    return returnValue;
}

Function Call:

#define BUFFER_SIZE             500

uint8_t  bufferI2C_uint8[BUFFER_SIZE];

I2C_uBlox_Read_SQ(&hi2c1, UBLOX_I2C_SHIFTED_ADRESS,  0xFD , bufferI2C_uint8, (2) );

I2C_uBlox_Read_SQ(&hi2c1, UBLOX_I2C_SHIFTED_ADRESS,  0xFF , bufferI2C_uint8, (200  ) );

Outcomes