AnsweredAssumed Answered

Simple example program to read and write option bytes on STM32F042K6 using HAL libraries?

Question asked by dalewheat on May 16, 2017
Latest reply on May 17, 2017 by dalewheat

Can someone show me a simple program to read and write the option bytes on the STM32042K6 using the STM32 HAL libraries?  I only want to store an 8-bit value.  I'm not interested in reading or modifying the read or write protection, etc.

I've been able to write the option bytes using the ST-LINK utility software, and then successfully been able to read one of them back using the following C code (Atollic TrueSTUDIO 7.1.2):

mode = HAL_FLASHEx_OBGetUserData(OB_DATA_ADDRESS_DATA0); // from option byte 0

...and this works just fine.  Now I want to be able to update the option byte in code as the application is running.  All I need to store is 8 bits.  I don't think I need to allocate 1K of FLASH memory as EEPROM emulation at this point.  I'm porting a trivial program from an 8-bit AVR that had dedicated EEPROM on-chip.

I've looked and looked at the HAL documentation concerning the HAL_FLASHEx_OBProgram() function, and I understand that the FLASH and the option bytes need to be unlocked before erasing and writing the data, but I have no idea how to populate the FLASH_OBProgramInitTypeDef structure needed in the ...Program() function.  No examples are given in the HAL documentation (UM1785).

Any suggestions or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dale

Outcomes