AnsweredAssumed Answered

STM32 Cyptolib with IAR 8.11

Question asked by Giuseppe Cannarella on Apr 13, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 1, 2018 by Nesrine M

I've my application that uses the xCube CyptoLib 3.1.0 (STM32CryptographicV3.0.0_CM4_IAR_otnsc.a) with IAR compiler. Up to version 8.10 of the IAR compiler I never had any warning or error during the build of the project. Upgrading the IAR IDE to version 8.11 I have this error:

"Warning[Lt009]: Inconsistent wchar_t size
crypto.o(STM32CryptographicV3.0.0_CM4_IAR_otnsc.a) has wchar_t size 16 bits "
Reading the release notes of the IAR 8.11 I found this:

IAR Information Center for ARM

• Changed size of wchar_t in version 8.10 and 8.11

Object files following the ARM ABI has a runtime attribute indicating the size of wchar_t.

In EWARM version 7.80 and earlier, the size of wchar_t was 2 bytes wide and the runtime attribute was set accordingly.

For EWARM version 8.10, the size of wchar_t was 4 bytes wide but the value of the runtime attribute was not updated. Thus in 8.10 code is generated with 4 byte wide wchar_t but the object file is marked as if wchar_t is 2 bytes wide.

In EWARM version 8.11 wchar_t is 4 bytes wide and the runtime attribute is set accordingly.

Looking only at the wchar_t aspect this has the following implications:
    • Combining object files built with 7.80 and 8.10 will not trigger any linker warning but if the application uses wchar_t, the behavior will be unpredictable.

• Combining object files built with 8.10 and 8.11 will trigger a linker warning but the application should work even if it uses wchar_t.

• Combining object files built with 7.80 and 8.11 will trigger a linker warning and if the application uses wchar_t, the behavior will be unpredictable.

Then, by this description, the CryptoLib 3.1.0 needs to be rebuilded with new version of the compiler to avoid unpredictable issues.

I planned a new release of the Crytolib compiled with IAR 8.11? 

How I can solve this issue?

Thanks

Outcomes