AnsweredAssumed Answered

One pulse with repitition counter

Question asked by Arshad.Imran on Mar 3, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 by Arshad.Imran

Hi all,

I am a newbie developer for STM32. I am developing an application using the STM32F746 Discovery board and KEIL uVision. I need to output two pulses on GPIO that I will feed to another board. The first pulse is a simple PWM with 250kHz frequency and 60% duty cycle. This part was easy as I simply modified the examples of PWM given in DFP 2.8 using HAL library and I outputted it on TIM3 Channel 1. 

The tricky part is the second pulse. It should start on the falling edge of pulse 1 and out put a fixed number of pulses and then stop and start on next falling edge. The processor should never be involved in this. So I searched for solutions and found that it could be done using One Pulse mode and Repetition Counter register.

Also I figured out that only TIM1 and TIM8 have repetition counter.

So my question is how can I start the One Pulse Mode with N-Pulse generation using TIM3 Channel 1 falling edge as trigger? The reason I am asking is because in the HAL library there is a function HAL_TIM_OnePulse_ConfigChannel(TIM_HandleTypeDef *htim, TIM_OnePulse_InitTypeDef* sConfig, uint32_t OutputChannel, uint32_t InputChannel). So it requires two channels of same timer (One for Input i.e trigger and other for the desired waveform output). So do we need to physically short the output of TIM3 channel 1 to TIM1 Channel 2?

Or can we set the trigger internally without doing any such thing?

Also is there any example of this available? Anyone who has completed this who can share their work? I am a newbie and facing great difficulty in my first STM32 project.

Outcomes