AnsweredAssumed Answered

Very slow SDMMC Read performance on STM32F746NGH6

Question asked by David Harrison on Jan 26, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 21, 2018 by Clive One

Hi all. I am using the STM32F746NGH6 on the STM32F7 Discovery board to read from a micro-SD card through FATFS.

I am able to get only around 1MByte/sec read performance when reading blocks of 512 bytes. My application requires at least twice this read speed.

I am accessing a file through Chan's FATFS and the block size is fixed at 512 bytes. My SDMMC driver code is basically bare metal, so all the STD PERIPH and HAL crap has gone. It is pared down to the bone, as it were. I am using the 4 bit mode and the high speed clock mode and DMA mode reads. The clock speed, as verified by my logic analyzer, is indeed around 50MHz.

Given the above configuration, I should get blazing read performance, but the elapsed time to perform the 512 Byte read is sluggish, around 430 - 660 us. This is verified both by a hardware timer and an LED turning on, then off, after the block read and measuring that LED on time with my logic analyzer.

I am using a Class 4 micro-SD card.

I have attached a JPG showing a screen shot of the SD card clock. That image verifies the clock speed as about 50MHz, but interestingly it also shows that the clock comes in bursts of 7 clocks followed by a gap of 120ns. Thus the clock is not clocking in data continuously and therefore is losing about 1/2 of the available time to read the data in.

I have also attached a ZIP file with my SDMMC driver code.

Can anyone shed any light on why my SD MMC clock is so bursty and not continuous, or shed any other light on my poor read performance.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Outcomes