AnsweredAssumed Answered

VNH7013XP-E H-Bridge Datasheet Questions

Question asked by Dunn.Tom on Jan 13, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 by Dunn.Tom

I am having difficulty discerning information from the datasheet.

1) Where can I find additional information on this IC? (Other than the OrCad Model and Application Sheet.)

2) What voltage can be used to activate/trip the H-Bridge gate to turn on the MOSFETs?

Page 7/Tbl 3 of the DS states that the maximum gate/source voltage is 18v. But, Page 8/Tbl 5 of the DS states that the Gate Threshold Voltage is between 2v; minimum and 4v; maximum. Is it that the gate will definitely be tripped above 4v, but you should not exceed feeding it more than 18v?

2) It appears that the Temp Sensor supply voltage is less than the gates?

Per page 10, of the DS, the Chain Forward Voltage of the sensor is between 3.72v and 4.04v. If the Temp Sensor can only handle 4.04v, and I want to drive a PIC controller with 5v (this is typical, for the chip,) I guess I could add a separate VR, or a diode, to drop the voltage to power just the temperature sensor, but that seems an odd requirement. Am I working through this correctly?

I am assuming that TSA+ is supplied voltage directly to that pin and that TSK- is tied to the controller pin that will read the temperature. Is that correct?

3) The temperature reading is output by the H-Bridge as voltage. The acceptable operating temperature range is between -40*C and 175*C. The voltage is in micro-volts per degree Kelvin. I used this link to run the Kelvin math: http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/temperature/celsius-to-kelvin.htm...

-40*C = 233.15*K * -8.1mV/K = -1888.515mV
175*C = 448.15*K * -8.1mV/K = -3630.015mV
Because this is negative voltage, do I need to subtract it from the Temp Sensor's supplied voltage, to determine the voltage reading?

And, as a follow up, if the Temp Sensor does require a unique voltage supply, shouldn't that be the voltage that I supply to the microcontroller's voltage reference pin?

You can find the DS, here: http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/1b/41/37/d4/6d/b3/42/ee/DM00040392.pdf/files/DM00040… 

I am new to this forum. Thank you for your help!

Outcomes